cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Difficulty cancelling broadband and going to phone only

Go to solution

My parents are in their mid 80's and my father has asked me to cancel his broadband package and just have a phone.

What they have:
Broadband (out of contract)
Landline (anytime call plan)
Analogue fall alarm

What they need:
Landline - 700 minutes
Calling features:
BT privacy with caller display - free
Call Protect - free
1471 - free
Ringback - 65p (pay per use)
Opt out of digital voice till 2025
Analogue fall alarm

This sounds simple but below is what has happened so far.

08 Dec Emailed my power of attorney code to BT - approved 09 Dec
Researched the available calling plans - no link on the BT website/My BT but google found it - booklet of 252 pages.
Logged in to their BT account but "change plan" only offered the existing plan.
31 Dec Went on to live chat - was told that I could only do this over the phone.
31 Dec Called BT. I could cancel the broadband but would need to change to digital voice.
Explained that their analogue fall alarm was not compatible and they would need to opt out for now.
The advisor said that they would pass it to their manager who would call me on 02 Jan.
No call was received.
16 Jan The fall alarm goes offline.
17 Jan I call BT again. The phone line has been changed to digital voice. Asked me to wait on the line whilst they try and get it reversed. They managed to action this, it would take a few days before completion and the broadband would need to be cancelled later. They would contact me when it was done and take it forward from this date.
No contact by email or phone was received.

Looking at the BT account today it is showing both Broadband and Landline (unlimited minutes) so something has been changed. I'm back to where I started. To be fair, the customer advisors  have all been polite and willing to help.

Is it possible for a moderator to check my father's account to see if it can be changed to a 700 minute phone plan only?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Difficulty cancelling broadband and going to phone only

Go to solution

I have asked mods to see if they can help you as there is a stop/sell on new analogue connections.  mods will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@GaryJ24 

While you are waiting for a moderator.

As a matter of interest, why is the fall alarm not compatible with digital voice, as the socket on the back of the Smart Hub 2 presents an analogue connection?

All providers of care alarms were informed about the change to the method of connection, some time ago now, and would have checked to see if their systems were compatible, and if not, would have an alternative to replace it.

Provided that the fall alarm does not use pulse dialling, it should still work when connected to the Smart Hub 2.

As @imjolly  has said, its no longer possible to order a PSTN connection, and if one has been ceased, there may not be a process to restore it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @GaryJ24

Welcome and thanks for your post!

I am sorry for the problems you've been experiencing trying to change your Parent's services.  I understand how important it is that this is all sorted as soon as possible.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks Robbie, I've replied with all the details you requested.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe , there are some options that they can have but it would involve some technology that my father finds overwhelming to deal with alongside his 24/7 caring responsibilities. These also come with a risk that the fall alarm may fail and that can't be allowed to happen.

https://taking.care/blogs/resources-advice/will-personal-alarm-work-after-digital-telephone-switchov...

He is aware that if there is a fault with the line then he'll be transferred to digital voice. He's got a year to adjust to the idea and I'll be discussing the digital alarm options with  his supplier.

Cheers,

Gary

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@GaryJ24 

Interesting article, may prove helpful to others. 

BT will be trialling options that involve equipment in the exchange which emulate an existing phone only service, but its not going to help at the moment, and is not intended as a long term solution.

Hopefully the moderators can come up with a solution

Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @GaryJ24

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me this evening.

Everything we talked about and agreed has been applied now.  You'll receive order confirmation emails with full details.  I'll close off from here as everything is sorted but if you need help or have a question in future feel free to come back on here 🙂

Thanks,

Robbie

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
Hi Robbie,

The 7th April bill has now come through and the line rental discount has not been applied. His online account shows that he only has a landline.
I checked my father's emails and there is a message from BT on 22nd March which I've copied below. Could you take a look at it for me please.
Thanks,
Gary

We've stopped your discount
Hello,
When you didn't have broadband, you qualified for a discounted line rental of £11.73 a month (changing to £12.09 a month from 31 March 2024). You now have broadband, so we'll stop this discount and you'll pay full price from your next bill.

This will also affect your current call plan. To find out more, take a look at our Consumer Price Guide.

Thanks,
BT Customer Support
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @GaryJ24, welcome back and sorry this has happened. Has the property got a broadband connection with another supplier connected now? As that would cause the discount to be removed.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings