cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

"Silver" address issue - how to upgrade?

Go to solution

Hi,

I moved into a new build 6 months ago. The address has been registered with the local authority, royal mail, etc. (and shows up in royal mail's postcode lookup). The address however doesn't show up in openreach's postcode lookup.

I've been trying to take out a BT broadband package, but the sales people I've spoken with originally told my address doesn't show in their system at all, and recently I have been told the address shows up as a "silver" address which means they can't do anything for me?

I was advised to contact openreach to upgrade the address to "gold"

Openreach tell me they can't deal with me directly as I'm a consumer, and I would need to go through a broadband provider like BT, but to also contact my local authority and make sure the address is fully registered, as they can only upgrade an address to gold once told to do so by the local authority.

I contacted my local authority and they know nothing about "silver" and "gold" addresses, but they assure me that my address is fully registered. I have an email from them confirming this.

I've contacted BT sales again to try to register, explaining that Openreach won't deal with me directly. But they told me they can't do anything until its a gold address.

I'm at my wits end, I'm just trying to get internet sorted in our house. I really don't know what to do, when both Openreach and BT broadband won't deal with me. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: "Silver" address issue - how to upgrade?

Go to solution

You need an ORDI raised by BT. It sounds like you're hitting "Computer says no" territory without anyone having the gumption to or know how to progress it.

Mods are very good at sorting this & hopefully one will see your post or be referred by a CL. In the meantime you could try calling again & ask to be put through to Connections. It's been a while but apart from the Mods, they're the only people I've found you can reach by phone that have a proper understanding of processes.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks, this helps.

I did get the feeling the sales people just didn't want to deal with the request as its more effort for them than just processing an order, but its been the same refusal every time I've phoned to get it set up.

Its also getting rather annoying having to explain the whole situation every time I phone BT or Openreach. Would be nice if there was a case number or something I could quote which gave them the past information.

If a mod could help me get this sorted that would be ideal.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @nickedwards, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Sorry that you're having a problem placing you order for broadband. A Gold address is one that is listed with Royal Mail etc and Openreach have a record of routing to the property, ie it's most likely had service previously. A silver address is one that is listed with Royal Mail etc but Openreach have no record of any routing to the property. 

Have you tried placing your order online: Broadband | Home Broadband & Line Rental | BT
Are you in a Full Fibre area?
Sales should be able to place the order but no appointment would be provided until Openreach planning check and see how they'll provide service to the property.

Cheers

John

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks @JohnC2

I have tried to place an order online, but my address isn't listed. This is why I tried to phone to place the order.

We are in a fibre area, and I can see the poles that have the fibre cables on them out my window (posts have signs on saying fibre cables overhead), which are maybe 5 metres away from the house.

I presume it would be FTTP they would be installing. My neighbours (2 houses that were built at the same time as mine) both have fibre internet sorted and their addresses show up on Openreach's system when checking the same postcode on openreach's website, it just seems to be my address that doesn't show.

While its not ideal, I don't really mind if it takes a while to complete any work, but I would like to know something is progressing on it rather than just being told our address is invalid.

Am I able to give you my address details for you to check anything on your end?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@nickedwards 

If you are sure its FTTP, then give the FTTP helpdesk a call on 0800 587 4787and see what they say. They should be able to update any routing info.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks, I've been in touch with them, and they have raised a request with Openreach to review my address.

Hopefully this means I'm getting somewhere. Not sure why the original sales agent for BT couldn't pass me through to the FTTP team to do this in the first place, been a bit of a waste of time having to try to get in touch with Openreach directly, and then my local authority, etc too.
0 Ratings