cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 111 of 234

Re: BT Cloud is closing

The email says:

For more information, including how to move your data to another platform, click below

However the page it goes to doesn't actually tell you how to move your data to another platform, just to download it.

BT could do a deal with one or more providers to offer a promotional discount for the benefit of its users - I imagine such providers would love more leads - or at least have a list of some available options.

Message 112 of 234

@greereaper
Agree that would have been helpful. I’ve looked into a couple of solutions. Amazon has closed its service to new customers. Apple’s cloud offering moves data to the cloud rather than mirroring the data. Google appears to do the same. As I need to retain the original data (photos for editing). These aren’t solutions for me. I’m now looking at Backblaze.
BTs approach has not been at all customer supportive. Some case study solutions would have helped smooth the process.
Message 113 of 234

Re: BT cloud closing.

Hello

The issue here is I have not really used the Cloud - other services through work, but it has already closed when I try to log in - using Web, App or desktop - it says this service has is not available.

Announcing to me it is closing - but not allowing me to check any content is poor service - if I already removed all material as I had to do when G-Drive shut is fine - but not allowing me to see any space (even empty) is bad.

0 Ratings
Message 114 of 234

I'm Fuming!!

This is more of a rant than a question but I hope some BT person may read and know how annoyed we are.

BT once again shows they aren't a worthy recipient of my custom.

I thought the email was a scam and it could easily have been deleted until I noticed my account number was included.

Even though I'm out of contract I've stuck with them for years for all my telecom needs because of the backup they provide, including TV. This abdication of any sense of responsibility they may have had is the last straw. 

Plus, why did my email only arrive yesterday when from this thread it appears others were told weeks ago? They can't even manage to do a mass mailing successfully.

My Questions - if you've read this far can anyone explain in simple terms to an elderly very non-tech-savvy person

What do I do now to make sure all the info on my PC doesn't get lost?

I can back up selected files to an external device but it was the constant regular updating that was the feature of BT Cloud that I valued the most does anyone else provide this service?

0 Ratings
Message 115 of 234

Re: BT cloud closing.

@ Marg0105 I fully sympathise & agree! I’m looking at iDrive as a replacement. You can back up your computer / connected hard drives for about £9 a month. Covers up to 5Tb of docs & photos so should cover most needs. Google & Apple offer cloud services too. It’s a case of comparing the offerings and seeing what suits.
Message 116 of 234

@Marg0105 

Just a thought. Assuming you’re using a Windows PC you can always use Windows Backup and Restore to an external drive that you have permanently plugged into a usb port. Admittedly it’s not a Cloud solution but it’s free and all your files are there should things go wrong. Would that work?

Message 117 of 234

Unless you have a pressing need to use a Cloud storage system, such as being able to access your files away from home or you need to store your files away from "home" in case of fire or some other catastrophic event, you could consider using a portable USB External Hard Drive.  

They come in various sizes up to 5TB and cost from about £30 up to about £130 for a 5TB drive. Once purchased they are yours with no ongoing annual costs. 

They are simple to set up ie plug and play and depending on which manufacture you choose they come with the relevant software in order to carry out backups on a regular basis.

A simple search on the likes of Amazon will show a vast number to choose from and a search on using a Portable Hard Drive will give you more information so that you can make an informed decision if that would meet your needs.

As an added bonus you will also be free of the vagaries from any Cloud storage company as well as the possibility of your online storage company being hacked and your data stolen. 

Message 118 of 234

I guess that a lot depends on how much you value your data, but for important stuff (Like family photos and documents?) theres a well established3-2-1 Rule :

• Maintain three copies of your data: This includes the original data and at least two copies.
  • Use two different types of media for storage: Store your data on two distinct forms of media to enhance redundancy.  ( eg your PC and a USB drive)
  • Keep at least one copy off-site: To ensure data safety, have one backup copy stored in an off-site location, separate from your primary data and on-site backups

I was using BT Cloud to provide that last "off-site" backup - so I am going to need  a Cloud based replacemement

0 Ratings
Message 119 of 234

@Geoffhailz wrote:

I guess that a lot depends on how much you value your data, but for important stuff (Like family photos and documents?) theres a well established3-2-1 Rule :

• Maintain three copies of your data: This includes the original data and at least two copies.
  • Use two different types of media for storage: Store your data on two distinct forms of media to enhance redundancy.  ( eg your PC and a USB drive)
  • Keep at least one copy off-site: To ensure data safety, have one backup copy stored in an off-site location, separate from your primary data and on-site backups

I was using BT Cloud to provide that last "off-site" backup - so I am going to need  a Cloud based replacemement

"Off site" can also mean using a Portable HDD and having a family member store it for you and if you feel the need, encrypt the drive so that they can not access it without the encryption key. 

You can also have a NAS drive connected to the Internet via your family member's broadband connection and access it from the Internet in order to carry out your backup of your stored files if that is more convenient for your needs, which will of course not require payment to a Cloud service.

You can of course use a Cloud service if you are sure that they will never "lose" your data, which contrary to what they will tell you does happen or that their systems are never hacked.

0 Ratings
Message 120 of 234

BT ICloud closing down

I wonder if anyone can help. I have a lot of photos stored in BT ICloud, too many for my iPad to store, how can I copy them to apple cloud as I cannot first store them on my iPad as there is not enough space. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings