cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 215

Re: BT cloud closing.

There have been claims on this forum that BT Cloud is "free", but somebody has to pay for it, so not free in the sense that any reasonable person would use the word.

My contract ends in October, so time to move to another ISP.

That said, under no circumstance should anyone ever rely on cloud storage as primary, let alone sole, backup. External backup drives are cheap - I use three, and only resort to cloud storage for convenience.

On a minor note I object to receiving, by no means for the first time, an e-mail from BT which the sender was too lazy to check - "we've made the choice to close to the service."

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 215

It was not "free" it was part of the Broadband packaged. Still says it in your account under products: "Included with your BT Broadband"
No mention of the word Free, anywhere....

When you contract, you look at the package they offer, and match that against other providers, some maybe cheaper but less of a package, you contract the package and what is included as part of the contract.

Complaint being written - breach of contact !!
Message 13 of 215

As the BT Cloud service was provided by a third party, I expect that the contract was up for renewal, and a decision was made by BT,  not to renew it.

See https://synchronoss.com/products/engagex/cloud-telco-operator/

Capture.JPG

Message 14 of 215

Just becuase it saves them moneyt is not a good reason to take away a service that was being offered to customers. It's shamefull, really.
Message 15 of 215

BTCloud was a "Value Added Service".   It was a free add on to BT Broadband and not charged for. It was not compulsary that you needed to use it and if you chose not to use it you did not receive any discount or reduction in your Broadband price.

It was subject to its own Terms and Conditions which if you used the service no doubt you will have read them.

In Section 12 its states that BT can end the service provided they give at least 30 days notice which they would appear to be doing now.

https://www.bt.com/terms/july2023btcloud

Message 16 of 215

I agree it was sold as a "value added service". And as such, it would have influenced people like myself who were attracted to it as a reason to sign a two year contract. If BT has to rely on small print legaiistics, to justify its removal -then what a sad comapny
Message 17 of 215

Any response which justifies the removal of BT Cloud because it is a "free" service is not on. In my contract, several things are said to be £0.00. These are - voicemail, caller display, call diversion, and 200GB of BT Cloud.  I hope that BT don't insist that I am signed up for 24 months following the loss of BT Cloud. Can all of these be removed if BT wants, while BT carries on charging the same (+ inflation + even more)  for less service? BT is being disingenuous in the way it presents things.

I also agree that the email sent today (15/7) is poorly written, and raises a lot of questions. BT feels like an organisation which cannot be trusted. 

Message 18 of 215

@Geoffhailz wrote:
I agree it was sold as a "value added service". And as such, it would have influenced people like myself who were attracted to it as a reason to sign a two year contract. If BT has to rely on small print legaiistics, to justify its removal -then what a sad comapny

I take you never read the "small print" and are unaware legalities of what you agreed to when you took out a contract.

I doubt that BT are using the "small print" to "justify its removal". There will no doubt be a business/financial reason for its removal and the "small print" is only being used to inform you of its removal in line with their Terms and Conditions of the contract that you and BT agreed to when you started using the service.

Message 19 of 215

I'm struggling to understand your defense of BT here.   If I buy something  online from a compnay which offers me "free postage" , I dont expect to have to  pay the postman when it arrives becuase they've changed their minds.  The T's and C's  might allow BT to withdraw the service - but it was part of the advertised service when I signed up.

So, maybe legally they can terminate the service - but ethically ???????

Message 20 of 215

I am not defending BT.

I think it is unfortunate for all the people that use BTCloud and it will no doubt cause a lot of concern and stress for them.

What I am doing is trying to point out to the people who think that BT can not do this and are in some way breaching their contract are wrong and they will not be able to pursue a complaint regarding that nor would I expect them to be released from their contract because of it.

I doubt that ethics would have come into the bean counters decision making process.