cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 271 of 277

Re: BT Cloud is closing

@bobdanbh 

Regarding your suggestion:-

Apart from the logistics/cost of having systems set up in order to download the data onto a USB memory stick, I doubt it would comply with Data Protection Laws or with any person who cares about the security of their data.

I also doubt that anybody would be happy to have their unencrypted data downloaded onto a memory stick then stuck into the post. I say unencrypted  because to have the data encrypted would be an additional cost not to mention how to ensure that the individual user has the encryption key/program so that they can access the encrypted data when and if it is received at their postal address.

There is then the possibility of the memory stick or its data being  accessed/stolen  by un-authorised users at some point during the process from downloading the data to the USB Stick until it is received and secured by the data owner. 

You also have the problem as what would happen if the owner of the data did not have a device that has a USB port such as on iPads and phones. Not everybody has a PC or Laptop.

I think your suggestion may need a lot more research before it is taken up!

Message 272 of 277

Appreciate there is much annoyance with BT Cloud being switched off.

But why are people having so much hassle downloading their files?

Maybe it’s because I’ve got a Windows PC (Though surely one could be borrowed if not?) But I found it all very straightforward. 

Click on the download option in the desktop app. Navigate to the root folders of the laptop/desktop devices you’ve been backing up. Check that it’s going to be downloaded to where you want it to be. Then leave it a few hours About 9.00hrs for 250GB. And it’s done.  

For mobile devices, provided you’ve used the Cloud app on your mobile devices - and chosen to back up their data - all your mobile data should be within the Cloud (aka Sync)  folder on your PC. If it’s not there you need to set the Sync settings to ‘Make all device data available on this PC’ 

Perhaps some of the issues could be due to issues with a WiFi connection. Maybe an Ethernet connection would be more reliable over a long period download. 

0 Ratings
Message 273 of 277

Re:

BT may be introducing a paid-for version of the cloud back up I've been with BT for so long that I used to pay them for it!  Then, at some date I can't recall it was absorbed into my 'normal' broadband.

I'm not so sure that the alleged 'lies' are actually 'lies' but that the staff (often newly recruited to a giant organisation that isn't very organised) don't actually know what's going on! I was told initially that cloud wasn't being closed and then offered a small compensation payment for its demise. I was very fortunate to speak to a very clued-in member of staff recently who was able to resolve my issues.

0 Ratings
Message 274 of 277

My grandchildren say I should say "whoosh".

The remark at the end was possibly too elliptical. The post was made in homage to Swift's Modest Proposal (q.v.).

0 Ratings
Message 275 of 277

@GG.... @MY grandchildren say I should say "whoosh"

The remark at the end was possibly too elliptical. The post was made in homage to Swift's Modest Proposal (q.v.).

0 Ratings
Message 276 of 277

Re: BT Cloud

Since being taken over OR merging with EE I have noticed a huge drop in service from BT. I have been a loyal BT customer for over 40 years and the reasons given for the closing down of BT cloud are full of lies and BS.
Unbelievable.

At one time BT was a good reliable telecommunications company offering a landline rental saver option! Now that’s gone! Why? Pathetic excuses and reasons given to customers. Even the BT website is full of suspect, expensive offers and links from EE which I do not want.

Come on BT improve!👆☝️🙄

Message 277 of 277

Re: BT Cloud

@zappa wrote:

Come on BT improve!👆☝️🙄

Given that BT consumer broadband and services such as BT TV  are ceasing and all its BT customers will be  moved to EE with BT only providing for business customers I would not expect any improvement on what is happening now.

0 Ratings