cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Can not opt-out of BT-Wifi

Hi, I've just become a BT customer and my router as installed has Public WiFi as Activated.  I tried to opt-out using the website, but got an error message.  The router remains at Activated, so I thought maybe I can opt-in and then out again to get this to change, but I can't opt-in either on the website.

Can anyone assist?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Can not opt-out of BT-Wifi

See: https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi-

Of course, if you use your own router, you won't be providing a hot spot, but it appears you can still access other people's hot spots!

Maybe if one of the mods here would care to explain how the contention between the person with the hub and visitors to the hub works...  Personally, if I were using the hub, I'd probably leave it on!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Sorry for the confusion, I'm using the standard supplied BT Smart Hub 2.  I've tried to follow the guide online many times now, but as mentioned, it does not work.  And looking at previous messages in this section I'm not the only one.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

when you opt out it can take a few weeks before the update will get to hub and BTWIFI showing off

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 19

@imjolly I think the Original Post is having difficulty in Opting Out because he’s getting an error.

I seem to remember the Mod had to  intervene to get this problem solved for another user in the past.

Message 6 of 19

The BT WiFi webpage has been broken for months but nobody seems to want to fix it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

To follow on from what @licquorice has already said.

BT know all about the Wi-Fi opt in/out web page being broken, I remember @NeilO  posting some time back that he had raised the matter with the relevant team but nobody else seems to care so don't hold your breath whilst waiting for it to be fixed.   

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Hi @quinten,

It can take up to 28 days for the opt-out to fully complete.

However, if you are trying to opt back in you may find that you can't without our help.

We have raised this issue multiple times.

Let me know if you would like our help.

Thanks
DanielS

Message 9 of 19

@DanielS 

Appreciate that you have raised the matter on numerous occasions but nothing seems to be getting done.

Do you have a timescale for resolution please?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Hey @Les-Gibson,

I don't have one yet unfortunately. I've emailed all involved again there now and CCed all of the mod team in.

I know that there were some support calls about this recently and I believe they were talking with Neil too.

They should reply back to us over the next couple of days. I'll be back on Friday morning and will chase it up if they haven't replied to the team.

Thank you
DanielS