cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

How access Norton Password Manager without signing in to Vault?

Go to solution

After initially having some problems setting up Norton Password Manager on a new PC I have been using it OK for a couple of Months.However 2 days ago when trying to access it I was asked to open the Vault with its Password instead of Password Manager and although I have tried a couple of Passwords I thought might be right for that I have had no success.

So,a couple of things - Is there a way to get to The Password Manager login via another route?Also I have tried all sorts of "Forgotten" Username or Password screens but none of them are sending anything to my email as they should so please advise which phone number I need to ring to sort this out (presumably BT or Norton).

I'm most worried that I shall completely lose access to all my Passwords which would be a nightmare,so I don't want to risk anything that might cause that.

Thanks in advance

Graham

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: How access Norton Password Manager without signing in to Vault?

Go to solution

@graybag Have you tried the password manager website? Norton Password Manager you can sign in by clicking the link in the top right page.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply.

Yes,that is how I usually sign in to Password Manager but when I click there now instead of Password manager signin I'm asked for my Vault Password and nothing I try there works.Also when I try to use forgot Password it says that a message will be sent to my email to reset Password and if it does not arrive I may have entered the wrong User Name (which I assume should be my email).The message DOES NOT arrive so I'm prompted to use Forgot User Name.Again I'm told to check my email A/c to retrieve my User Name.However,again,this does not arrive at my email.

Hope this helps with any other suggestions please.

Graham

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@graybag Thanks for getting back to me.

You’ll need to reset the password using a mobile device with biometric authentication.

Reset Vault Password on IOS (Version 10 and above)

1. Sign in to the Norton Password Manager app using biometric authentication
  2. On the Vault screen, tap the Menu icon then tap Settings
  3. Under Vault Password, tap Reset Password. Tap Touch ID or Face ID when you receive a prompt
  4. On the Reset Password screen, follow the on-screen instructions and tap Save

Reset Vault Password on Android Device

1. Sign in to the Norton Password Manager app using biometric authentication
  2. On the Vault screen, tap the Menu icon and then tap Settings
  3. On the Settings screen, tap Vault
  4. Under Vault Password, tap Reset Password. Tap the Fingerprint sensor when you receive a prompt
  5. On the Reset Password screen, follow the on-screen instructions and tap Save

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

biometric authentication?I'm afraid I've no idea what that is.Could you please explain how I go about that.

If it has any connection to a Mobile Phone I do not own one except as a Pay-as-you-go Basic.

Graham

ps I had come across this Solution myself but as I say having no idea how to use or augment.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@graybag Yes, biometric authentication is part of a smart phones features. This is the only way to reset the vault password. Is there anyone who can help you with that? 

The other option is to delete the vault and start again but this will also delete the passwords within it.

Reset Vault Password on a computer

If the customer doesn't have access to a mobile device with biometric authentication support, they’ll need to delete the vault on their computer and create a new one using the steps below:

StepAction

Open the Norton Password Manager extension from the browser

Login using the BT credentials

Enter the incorrect vault password a few times

You will be prompted to delete the vault after a few attempts

Click on Yes, Delete vault and sign in with BT credentials

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I'm really ??? with this.I have dozens of Passwords in my Password Manager with no notes of elsewhere .I hope you are saying that I will get a new Vault which I can then use to get back into my Password Manager and start using those stored Passwords again and they will not be gone forever.

Sorry to ask for full explanation but I don't want to start tinkering and end up losing all my Passwords .Surely the whole idea of this facility is that I can let it generate and keep note of Passwords  that I can safely access in one place but have no way of finding elsewhere.

Graham

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Some ramblings.....

Norton Security is included as part of my BT subscription.It sits on my Desktop and Password Manager shows as "Extension Installed" (currently next to it is "Access Vault").

When I access my BT email I can then go into MY BT and then "your security" which takes me to Norton Password Manager and if I tap "Manage" again I get to "Access Vault".Update here - This time I HAVE been directed to Password Manager and not to Vault and,praise be,there are my 89 Passwords!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,again,NeilO for your efforts to help but I cannot believe I won't get the same problem in the future so that means I'll have to copy all my Passwords to where I can access them if needs be.This TOTALLY defeats the whole idea of the Security with this.

As far as I know I am still without a working Vault Password and am disgusted that I could not get that sorted easily via email notification of change of Username or Password,surely an option that should always be available.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

I cannot believe I won't get the same problem in the future so that means I'll have to copy all my Passwords to where I can access them if needs be.This TOTALLY defeats the whole idea of the Security with this.

I'm glad you got access back again.

I've had problems with Norton several times. As a result I looked around for an alternative password manager, there are quite a few to choose from. After setting up a separate password manager, I exported from Norton to a .csv file and imported that into the new password manager.

It is recommended for security purposes to properly delete the csv file immediately afterwards as that uses plain text and is obviously unsafe.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Anyone in the IT industry will tell you “Don’t rely on one copy of anything that you can’t afford to lose”.  It’s not a question of if it will screw up or be subject to a security breach, it’s a question of when.

Nothing wrong with (say) keeping a printed copy of those passwords, so long as you store them in a secure location.  Frankly, the locked draw in my home office is way more secure than anything connected to the internet will ever be.

0 Ratings