cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Updating Online Security to Norton - Nightmare

Hi everyone

I really hope someone can help me because I can't get any help from Tech despite numerous attempts. Nobody at BT seems to really  know what the problem is and I feel like I am not being taken seriously because they say "they've not had this problem before"

I got the letter we all had to update online security to Norton before 31st March however whenever I try to update I get directed to the Norton site ( my.norton.com  also showing BT logo on the page bottom left) and a message asking me to" enter my 13 digit pin code in the black box". The message adds "Enter the 13-digit PIN code you received from your service provider. If you do not have a PIN code, contact your service provider for assistance."

I have contacted BT for assistance, and  BT Tech have been through the updating process over the phone with me  and have received the exact same message as me so I know I'm not losing the plot lol.

BT Tech say  I do not need a pin code to upload Norton, this is only for customers who have bought a Norton package separately themselves and have a licence for it to activate it.   They cannot understand why I am getting the message to enter a pin. BT has the licence we need as BT customers but  BT Tech say they don't know what the Norton licence number is, and even if they did they would not give it to me because it belongs to BT.!!

I am getting increasingly worried now that I won't be able to update, and am asking if anyone else is having this problem?  I am using a desktop pc with Windows 10.  

On 7th February I was told  to wait for an email from BT saying "switch to Norton" and if I don't get it soon contact the fault department.  I've not had any email,  but according to the letter we can update anytime from January 2022 it says nothing about waiting for an email!   Another Tech told me just to keep checking weekly to try to update and see if the message changes -  I have and it hasn't.

Please guys can you help me with this?  

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Updating Online Security to Norton - Nightmare

It may be that your PC already has Norton on it. Many computers come with free or trial Antivirus programs on them. You need to check to see if that is the case on your PC. If it is you need to uninstall/remove it from your PC before trying to download the BT version of Norton.

If you have had to remove a copy of Norton, restart your computer, not just a switch off and on again and then follow this link.

What is BT Virus Protect and how do I get it? | BT Help

Message 3 of 11

You don't 'Have to' upgrade to Norton. Its a free offering which is up to you whether you wish to take advantage of it.

There is no need to panic either, as there are a number of perfectly good free anti virus packages available not least Windows Defender which comes as part of every Windows installation.

Message 4 of 11

Hi,

I had a runin with Norton years ago, with PC security software, said I'd never use it again and guess what it's not changed!! An utter pain in the ********.

Use your OS firewall and some  OTHER Antivirus software...  Avast, Windows 10's built in DEFENDER, AVG, etc.

As stated above it's a free offering, just leave it alone!!

Regards

Mel.

Message 5 of 11

You're absolutely right. I have Norton Utilities on  my PC and when I tried to install the BT package I got a warning message saying this would lower my Norton protection! I contacted Norton support and they told me that the package being offered by BT is a legacy package no longer supported by Norton and I should stick with my existing package. Typical of BT, of course.

Message 6 of 11

I don't have Norton on it I just checked through all the programs, but thanks for taking the time to reply.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Daft question maybe, but is Windows Defender totally secure? If so I will go with that. I honestly didn't realise the Norton was a free offering BT make it sound as if you have to have it, so thanks for putting my mind at rest on that score 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Hi Mel, thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I shall go for Windows Defender if its really secure as I'm sure it will be, I just asked above. 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Thanks for replying to me. Typical of BT as you say. I've had more useful help from you guys on here with my first post than I've had since January with BT Tech.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

You don't need to enter anything.

Launch Microsoft Edge (not Chrome or Firefox or whatever other browser you may normally use)

Login to MyBT

Click 'Your Security' -> Manage

'BT Virus Protect' -> Manage

A window to Norton .com will open, click on the Download button

Edge will open another window, click on the 'Agree and Download' Button

Ignore the Norton prompts and installation instructions

Wait for Edge to open a prompt box in the top Right hand corner of your screen and click on 'Open'

The download and installation should start automatically

0 Ratings