cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 81 of 107

Re: BT Pro Box surround sound

I’m watching ITV2 HD and the input (what the BT box is sending) is showing that it is 5.1 but clearly it’s only 2.0 as the same sounds are playing through all the speakers. 

This issue has nothing to do with the AVR as it’s only outputting what input it’s getting sent which is 5.1 for a 2.0 sound output.

As far as I’m concerned, this is not correct and does not give a very good user experience and you are not experiencing the sound as it’s meant to be, wether that is only 2 channel or 5.1 or Dolby.

Message 82 of 107

There is absolutely nothing we could do that would ever cause stereo sound to come from all the speakers - this is 100% a setting on your amp. Maybe if you post the model of amp you're using, we could tell you what setting to change.
Message 83 of 107

@Midnight_Voice the box is being fed with a 5.1 container tagged as having 2 channels. It should still synthesise rear channels. It was previously fed as 5.1 tagged as 5.1 so amps couldn't do anything with it.

Message 84 of 107

Ok sure, it’s a Marantz SR7015.

Its set to out select the sound source so was thinking this should auto select the correct sound mode.

Message 85 of 107

Press the movie button on your remote.
I'm guessing it's currently in "Multi Ch stereo" - change to Dolby Surround.
https://manuals.marantz.com/sr7015/NA/EN/GFNFSYvhhpesdv.php
0 Ratings
Message 86 of 107

@DarrenDev Attached are the screen captures showing different sound input formats for ITV1HD and ITV2HD, despite the fact that both only broadcast in 2.0 (stereo). This should be consistent and I would argue that ITV1HD is correctly configured (and consistent with Freeview and Sky)

image1.jpegimage0.jpeg

My AVR is an Onkyo TX-NR686. Yes, the output still up-mixes to 5.1.2, but not quite as well.

0 Ratings
Message 87 of 107

Thanks for this. This is actually how I have it set, on Dolby surround. When watching ITV2 as an example, the voices come through all the channels but should really come through the centre channel only as far as I understand or if it’s only 2 channel as ITV 2 is, then only the left and right channel should be active.

Or is this not how you would expect it to be?

0 Ratings
Message 88 of 107

With 2.0 audio on any channel on a 5.1(or more) system - the audio should only appear from the left and right front speakers and not the central speaker. But the effect should be when sat listening that most of the audo is from the centre.

Even if the Box Pro decides to output as 5.1 - the 2.0 audio should still be mapped correctly so thwe remaining speakers are silent.

@AlyCathwrote:
Thanks for this. This is actually how I have it set, on Dolby surround. When watching ITV2 as an example, the voices come through all the channels but should really come through the centre channel only as far as I understand or if it’s only 2 channel as ITV 2 is, then only the left and right channel should be active.

Or is this not how you would expect it to be?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 89 of 107

@ozsat Using Dolby Surround, you would expect it to attempt to up mix the audio to fill 5.1, but when you get this kind of metadata, it's not quite as effective. It should move voices to the centre, but performance will vary. Some systems and sound bars may give odd results

0 Ratings
Message 90 of 107

Perhaps I'm not quite understanding exactly how the audio is supposed to work but have a look at this example from last night and help understand if this is right or correct if this is wrong.

Channel: ITV2 HD

Input Signal: 5.1

Sound mode: DD+

Active Speakers 5.1

Sure, the Input and out put match but as far as i know, ITV is only 2.0 right? If this is right, why is is the Input signal showing as 5.1 if its actually 2.0? Is this because the BOX is set as surround and applying DD surround to a 2 channel input?

As all speakers are active, it plays as a fake 5.1 if that makes sense?

Capture ITV.JPG