cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

BT TV Pro Box - green skin tones on Freeview picture

I am pulling my hair out with the picture quality from this box as people - for the most part - have a definite green tint to them.  I raised the colour accuracy issue with BT when I got the box, but that was obviously ignored.

Anyone else noticing this?  Any advice?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT TV Pro Box - green skin tones on Freeview picture

It might not be the box that's the issue. Try it in a different HDMI port, if the issue isn't there it's a problem with the HDMI port on your TV. 

If it is still there, try another HDMI cable... Again, if the issue has gone it was a faulty HMDI lead. If it's still there, then it's the box.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Hi MooJuice

I am a BT trialist, a customer who volunteers to test BT residential software & hardware before it is rolled out to all customers.

I had a similar issue a few weeks, suddenly, having never had a problem before. I think my faces were purple from memory. Nothing had changed, nothing had been moved and I looked at the box in a very accusatory way! I logged it with the BT team and we went though various tests.

Turns out the HDMI cable wasn’t connected properly, probably moved slightly following annual dusting the day before. Wiggling it didn’t help, I had to pull it out and push it back in again firmly. No problem since.

I hope that helps, if not try swapping the cable.

Tim

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

I've tried a few cables without luck.  Does the box have the capability to output a test pattern so that I can have a go at calibrating the image?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Not itself but test patterns are available in the Netflix app if you have a subscription.

Edited to add:

Didn't realise they had been hidden, instructions here on how to get them: Netflix Test Patterns 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I'd already ferreted out the Netflix content, but thanks.  BT TV 'engineer' <cough! cough!>  attended this morning.  Took about 20 minutes before he started notcing how green people were.  He pulled another pro box from the van and (after subjecting us to Dr Teef) found that it also had dodgy colour.

I think someone's set up the colour space and gamma on the Pro boxes incorrectly.  The previous Humax boxes had a beautifully accurate picture...

Does anyone think BT might get some sample boxes checked out at BTTV HQ?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

I have a Pro Box and haven't noticed any issues at all with colour. It all looks pretty spot on to my eyes and I'm very picky...

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

No obvious colour issues here either. 

We get occasional green flashes when using Prime Video, and visible ‘stuttering’ of the picture on some of the IPTV Freeview channels (which also look soft compared to other methods of broadcast), but that’s it. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

What is your display output setting? If it’s UHD 10bit try 8bit or even 1080P temporarily to see if makes a difference. The Pro box  appears to use the BT.2020 colour space if you select 10bit even for SDR content which might confuse some TVs. It’s correct for HDR content. 

0 Ratings