cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

BT TV

I would love to use bt TV so I can then buy the extra mini box and have TV right next to me on the sofa with the mini box as all registered visually impaired while my wife uses the pro box in Ariel mode my problem is I want to keep using my own router which is a TP-Link archer 2800 can anyone tell me how to set this for iptv  or will it work straight away thanks in advance 

I only need the Freeview channels on the second box to be honest as that is all I will watch and catch up.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT TV

According to Google your router does support Multicast, which is required to access channels delivered over the internet by BT, but the BT TV Mini Box only works with a BT Smart Hub 2.

It does not have an aerial port either.

So you could use your main box with your router with a little configuration I believe, but that would be it. If you only want to access Freeview channels and catch up, then you could always use a Freeview Play device or older BT TV box.

Does your TV where you want to use the mini box have an aerial and Freeview Play? 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

To the pro box will work with my router but the mini box would not do they not use the same multicast settings for the pro box and the mini box.

My setup monitor next to my sofa no aerial access it is right across near the main  TV that the wife uses. At

the minute I am using the Amazon fire stick 4k but the lack of freeview guide I've been able to go back over is harder to navigate than what the mini box would be then can go  back over on the TV guide and watch live 2 on the Freeview side I have a mini box here from CeX but just cannot seem to get it at work and don't know that because I don't have the pro box all the active subscription I would be happy paying for the pro box for the wife if I can use this extra mini box connected to my own router I do not like BT router.

Sorry if you cannot understand my grandma as I voice typing or what I'm trying to say but I'm trying my best cheers thanks for the help so f

Message 4 of 9

@Wakenshawjwrote:

...I have a mini box here from CeX but just cannot seem to get it at work...

It won't unless you use a BT Smart Hub and have a BT TV Multiroom subscription at £10 per month. 

I would take it back to CeX and try and get a refund, they are loaned boxes and only work with a subscription so it should have been sent back to BT. 

Hopefully another forum user can advise on options for getting some sort of Freeview style guide on your Fire TV stick.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 5 of 9

So if I subscribed to BT TV give my wife the Pro and use my BT router which I don't really want to do but could this money box would not give me the Freeview stuff even though I would be paying the £10 subscription just don't think it's worth an extra £10 for me to only be watching Freeview on the mini box.

And if you cannot use it just for Freeview then like you say CeX should not be selling them put the or the also sell the pro box.

Thanks again John

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

If you subscribe to BT TV, swap to the BT Smart Hub and add a Multiroom subscription, BT will send you a BT Mini TV Box anyway, so the one from CeX is redundant whichever way you cut it. 

You can watch many of the Freeview channels live via the catch up apps (iPlayer, itvX etc.) on your Fire Stick.

————————————————————-
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

I have subscribed to BT TV pro box on the way as I was paying for Netflix and NOW TV anyway yes I have a fire stick but there's no way of getting a freeview guide on it so I can see what is on and also making it easier to find what programs have passed then click to play them on the catch up making it easier I also have started using the mini.box since I subscribed over the phone and it is working now no bother so only one lot of £10 to pay for the pro box subscription and then money box works fine in internet mode for me to use 

Message 8 of 9

Personally I think that BT Pro Box is the wrong product for you.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

The wife is going to use the pro box I am using the mini now that I got from CeX that is working no bother with my third party router and also saves me the extra £10 a month so not bad £10 and we were paying that for Netflix and now which the wife uses anyway.

0 Ratings