cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Changed to EE TV Box Pro - Now lost 4K UHD Sports Channel!

Go to solution

To entice me to renew my BT Broadband and TV Contract I was offered a new EE TV Box Pro to replace Youview UHD Box.I specifically asked that nothing would change from what i had with the Youview Box so went ahead.Using the new Box now and Good and Bad.Very Good that I can Record 4 Channels at the same time especially Weekends when I can Record 2 Sports Channels at the same time as 2 Freeview Channels.I've posted another Message here about the FF,RW and Pause Buttons now only work in "Clunky" way or obscured by unneeded Information.That's annoying but I now find I cannot access Channel 433 for Sport in 4K just get a Message to say I need to add it to my Package but I already Pay extra  for the HD and UHD,as I have always done.

So,with my Youview Box I have been watching and Recording UHD for a couple of Years,no problems.The Help Line says I cannot access this Channel as my Guaranteed Speed of 38mbps is not sufficient (it has to be 44 it seems).All well and good except I have had no more than that Guaranteed Speed for the time I had been using Channel 433 on the Youview Box and had no problem watching and recording.I refer you back to my asking at onset if there would be any changes,however the upshot is I am paying for UHD and cannot actually access it on EPG.Besides that I now find I CAN watch Sport Ultimate on the EE Box if I go into the Discovery Plus App and watch live with no glitching at all,which seems to indicate my Speeds are plenty (I don't watch Netflix or Game or anything like that).This is OK for occasions I can watch live but what I really need it for is so I can watch on Channel 433 if I wish but mainly Record and watch later.

Any suggestions please?Thank you.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Changed to EE TV Box Pro - Now lost 4K UHD Sports Channel!

Go to solution

The speed restriction of above 44Mb is to allow two simultaneous 4k subscription. That's just the rule that BT put in place, so not sure how you were able to order it originally. Certainly when I tried some years ago with a 36Mb connection, BT point blank refused the sale.

Maybe @DarrenDev can shed some light on what's happened here?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
When watching in the discovery+ app, the video will adapt to conditions - if someone else is using internet, it'll lower the quality accordingly. The channels can't adapt - they block out that bandwidth, potentially leaving the rest of the house unable to use the internet. This is why the protection is in place.

I'll ask if there's any manual override, if you're willing to accept the risk. No promises - I don't know if the system will even accept the order.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Try watching it again now @graybag ... I think that should be it sorted.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you so much everyone for the explanations and especially to DarrenDev for sorting it all out for me and I can confirm I now have  Sport Ultimate working on TV.I can understand why there needs to be an arbitrary "cut-off point" for a speed to use UHD and that I might not have enough oomph to access 2 UHD Channels or Apps at the same time (would be unlikely anyway).

How nice to have a very pleasing outcome.Thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Darren,

I'm in a pickle and you have been so very helpful that I thought I'd just ask if you can help me now.

My Computer Tower went kaput so I've bought a new one but after eventually struggling to set it up (i am 73!) found it is Microsoft Edge.All my Websites etc are in Google Chrome,but here comes the rub,i cannot get back into my google as i don't know the password (all my passwords are in Norton Password Manager,which I cannot access as I also do not know my Bt email log in password for same reason.

Basically until i get into my BT Acc i won't be able to do anything (including accessing my BT Cloud ,(haven't note of password).Think I have copies of my Passwords in BT Cloud but I'm slightly annoyed that Norton Password Manager always say don't write down Passwords!!!As it happens I know I could get into Norton Password Manager as I have that Password so one solution would be if there is any way to get to that page on Edge (without needing to sign into Norton beforehand).

Excuse me for asking, but I thought I'd ask you first before phoning BT Boadband help.

Thanks  Graham 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
OK, this is a fun one! 🙂

To get access to your Norton password manager, you need log into Google password manager.
To log into Google, you need to reset your password, but this needs access to your BT Email.
To access your BT Email, you need to reset your password. See this help article:

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/i-need-to-change-or-reset-my-bt-email-password

Which says that to reset your BT Email password, you need to log in using your BT ID - but I'm guessing you don't know that password either? If so, then you'll need to reset that first. The link to do that is in that article too - you should be able to do that, as long as you still have the same mobile phone number.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for speedy reply.I'll try all that and hopefully won't need to get back to you.

xxxx

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Darren,

You have done it again.You have a rare knack to help an ordinary person sort out what seems a very difficult problem to them.

You are giving BT a Good Name!

Thank you again.

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @graybag,

Thank you for posting back to update the thread. It's always nice to see some positive feedback and I'm happy @DarrenDev was able to help.

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings