Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 108

Re: EETV Not working With New Asus Router RT-BE88U

Go to solution

It can be finicky to get working but I can confirm it does:

Solved: Re: BT FTTP 900 & IPTV (EE TV Box Pro) - 3rd Party... - BT Community

Not just trolling for kudos but you may find the way I did it has more success.

I created an entirely new subnet and isolated a single interface to that subnet so the IGMP proxy only had one path, picked up the multicast packets at the WAN (eth0) and send to one physical port eth4 in my case. So my EETV Box is the only thing connected to eth4 via ethernet and is directly connected, no switching etc. Simple in one end out the other. 

The other thing that can catch it out is that the PPPOE interface which handles your authentication sits on top of the parent WAN interface leaving the WAN interface (eth0) without an IP, whilst the WAN has no IP address the IGMP proxy will not function, it has to know where to grab the packets from. This is solved by manually setting an IP on that interface that you wont use for anything else.

Good luck with it and make sure you post the working config when you get back to help others, getting the TV to work can be tricky like I said and the more routers that we have the config for will really help the community.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 108

Go to solution

Hi, @naylor2006 many thans for the reply will take a look at trying to set that up. I have tried putting the box as a static IP outside of the DHCP range but that didn't work.

Will look at creating a new subnet and trying that way, I am still awaiting ASUS reply to my tech support case as well.

It could just be an issue with the firmware on the box, as I can see so many people have this working on other ASUS routers. 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 108

Go to solution

Yeah I dont doubt that its possible, does that router support SSH so you can interface into the CLI?

You could then run a command to see what the proxy is doing....or lack of.

If its just GUI wizard based then its a bit click and hope!

Sorry if you already mentioned it, are you using WIFI to cast to the TV box? Generally I wouldnt do this anyway let alone on a 3rd party router. The IPTV box needs a stable connection regardless of how good WIFI can be, ethernet should always be used for IPTV IMO.

The problem with IGMP proxies can be that the Multicast packets are just re-broadcast to your entire network unless the router intelligently knows specifically which device to send them to...hence the need on my router to just give the IPTV its own LAN and send the packets there via the proxy, to avoid my entire default LAN getting potentially flooded.

You need to see some output from your router if it is discovering packets and if the proxy is working but i'd definitely only be testing this on Ethernet. Forgive me if you are.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 108

Go to solution

@naylor2006 yes it does support SSH but I don't have the knowledge to use that I'm afraid. 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 108

Go to solution

Yeah but the commands will be just there in the manual, I dont claim to know how to just configure stuff via the CLI on the fly, I'm looking up commands.

You're not using WIFI are you?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 108

Go to solution

I have tried both WIFI and LAN. I am connected to the router through SSH now. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 108

Go to solution

See if there are any commands you can run that show the IGMP proxy status.....these commands will likely be in the Asus KB or their forums.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 108

Go to solution

@djayyy 

As you've got the Pro box which works wirelessly and the Asus should support Multicast over wifi - there should be a specific  settings for IGMP snooping etc for that under the Professional tab of the Wifi settings ( it is on my AC68U so likely the same) - then unplug the ethernet for the Pro and set it up for wifi and see if the problem is the same.

BTW you haven't got a switch anywhere in the network have you by any chance?

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 108

Go to solution

Indeed you need to enable the snooping on WIFI but he mentioned he already tried that.

He is probably best off just getting it to work over wired at the moment, just removes another factor.

But like you say  @TimCurtis  if there is a switch in between the router and the TV this will break the service unless its designed to work with multicast etc...

I definitely think trying over at the ASUS forums is going to benefit here with this one, just make sure you come back and post the fix for anyone else!

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 108

Go to solution

@naylor2006 

@djayyysaid he enabled it but not that he'd tried IPTV over the wifi connection as far as I can see. The mention of over LAN & Wifi I think referred to SSH but I could be wrong.

0 Ratings