cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 12

Re: Paramount Plus

@PJCORNELLYwrote:

The issue really is the business of TV providers is fragmented and lacking in detail when searching for content.

Joined up aggregation is the holy grail, too many vested interests at the moment as they all vie for market position for it to happen.

@PJCORNELLYwrote:

• Sky by far provide the greater content in HD but their demand service is far from complete. All4, My5, ITV Hub and I think even UKTVPLAY are slimmed down offerings.

Yes, they have Netflix, Prime, Apple+, Disney+, but they are not fully integrated but at least for these services they have the apps.

They are not the full offerings on Sky Q, which as I have mentioned elsewhere is a "progressive download" model, but they are I believe on Sky Glass, which isn't surprising as it is an app based platform with no built in PVR.

I'm not sure I agree about the apps not being "fully integrated". On Q I receive recommendations across all apps, the search and voice search also works across all apps mentioned and I can even get them on one bill if I wish.

I'm not sure how much more integrated it can be?

@PJCORNELLYwrote:

BT has the UK content apps but only iPlayer is HD, All4, My5, ITV Hub are SD but there is full integration but SD really it's 2022!

Sure, and the integration is a real positive for BT, but the standard definition output is a limitation of the YouView platform. BT could do a Sky like deal if they saw value in it, they clearly don't.

Let's agree that BT is aiming for a more value conscious market sector for a moment. In that scenario, you wanting HD in catch up apps puts you in a minority, because I suspect the data tells them that the majority will put up with SD picture quality and ads, as long as it is free.

If you want better quality, you have to make a choice that costs you more money. 

@PJCORNELLYwrote:

MY5 is SD on Apple!

Freeview is limited to HD transmissions and that is clear but when it comes to streaming apps they should be HD no excuses and platforms that charge should be ensuring that apps in a quality format should be available to the consumer. Otherwise what is the point of them? Go smart TV only and save money.

And My5 is free.

The traditional terrestrial broadcasts are hampered by a lack of bandwidth but Freeview have been making technical changes to their specification over the last 18 months that allows channels to be broadcast via IP if needed, especially where access to the full range of Freeview channels is limited.

BT staff are already telling customers (even though they shouldn't), that you won't need an aerial for BT TV as channels will be delivered via broadband. So perhaps with this increased bandwidth you will get access to additional HD channels?

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 12

Re: Paramount Plus

@NigelB72 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_TV  says 1.9m as of 2019.

As I said elsewhere just under 10 days ago cancelled BT TV with the Now service and now get Now direct from Now for the same package with discounts saving me some money.

I agree with the cost of living and bills going up and expected to go up even more over the summer people like me are now looking at ways to try and save some money. Even if its  just a £1 or £2 here and there.

Darren