cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: UHD on PRO box.

As far as I can tell @Midnight_Voice  they are in UHD, I don't think the Pro Box is upscaling or if it's even capable.

Searching for UHD using the iPlayer app on the Pro Box returns UHD programmes, but the UHD logo is missing from the programme tiles. I think if anyone has a smart TV then they're better off running the apps direct on the TV, they just seem to run better.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Just to confirm that a search for UHD on the Pro box app and the TV app produces the same programmes.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

One observation.

I suspect that iPlayer displays UHD in top right corner  for  a  collection (often  one or more series and sometimes extra content)  only if ALL programmes in that collection are in UHD.  So for example Blue Planet II collection does not have UHD  displayed  at collection level but if you expand the collection the 7  individual programmes do have UHD symbol but the Oceams of Wonder (extra programming for the series) does not. Similarly Champion collection does have the UHD symbol on the collection tile but if you expand the tile  all the Series 1  (8 episodes) are UHD  but the Extra for the collection "The music of Champion" is not UHD.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

@zulu17 

For Blue Planet II for example, the iPlayer app on the Pro Box does not have the UHD symbol at episode level at all, but it does on the TV app.

SAS Rogue Heroes has no UHD symbol at either collection or episode level on the Pro Box app but is tagged correctly on the TV app.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

@Andy005  I see SAS Rogue Heroes with UHD symbol at both collection and episode level currently on PRo  Box set in IPlayer Beta mode.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

@Andy005 

My T4000, if set to output UHD and given an HD Programme on the iPlayer to stream, will output UHD to my LG TV, where I can see via the Info button that the TV is receiving a UHD stream.

So this must mean that the T4000 can upscale, and it would be rather odd if the Pro box had lost this capability.

Conversely, my T4000, if set to output HD and given an HD Programme on the iPlayer to stream, will output HD to my LG TV, where I can see via the Info button that the TV is receiving an HD stream, which it must now be upscaling for itself.

I think my TV can upscale better than the T4000 can, but the T4000 can certainly do it.

Though none of this necessarily invalidates anything you wrote above; it just gives us one more possibility to consider.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
Message 17 of 20

That's odd @zulu17 , I've just checked the app on my Pro Box again and SAS Rogue Heroes does not have any UHD labels on it. I also checked that the app is in beta mode.

If I use the TV app, switching beta mode off makes no difference ie UHD programmes still appear and I can still play the test loop. So my assumption would be that UHD programmes are now part of the standard player, I don't know if that's true or not but it's what I'm seeing.

I played the same short clip of SAS Rogue Heroes via the Pro Box and the TV app and I couldn't see the difference, so I'm still thinking that the Pro Box app is just missing the UHD label. Why it's on some Pro Boxes and not others is the question.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

@Andy005  Are your TV and Box Pro IPlayer apps at a similar version level  .

For IPlayer the system information for these devices is found eventually if  within IPlayer you select Settings>Settings & Help>Help>System Information.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

A general observation about search within IPlayer eg for UHD. Is that the search results returned seem to be currently limited to 9  so you are not getting a complete set of results.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

@zulu17wrote:

@Andy005  Are your TV and Box Pro IPlayer apps at a similar version level  .

For IPlayer the system information for these devices is found eventually if  within IPlayer you select Settings>Settings & Help>Help>System Information.

They are identical @zulu17 .

0 Ratings