cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 33

Re: Very old youview T1000's internet withdrawal

Go to solution

@Midnight_Voice 

Not that it really matters but the last update to the T1000 was released not in 2016 as you state, but in 2018. Youview only left the Huawei DN371T behind in the sending of everything that is done on a youview box to the cloud.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 33

Go to solution

@Lսkе 

Hey, it matters.

As Mark Twain didn’t say “Tain’t the things you don’t know that cause all the trouble, but the things you do know that ain’t so” 😛

So a few things that I ‘knew’, but weren’t so, starting with where YouView bailed out on these boxes. Not before thumbnails came in, as I thought (which would have made them highly prized items), but before the second giant leap backwards, when the horizontal menu you could understand was replaced with the vertical one you couldn’t, just so YouView could slow later boxes down in order to paint a raft of thumbnails you probably didn’t need to look at. (Still pulls me up short today, groping to find MyTV just to play my recordings 😢).

So that was the bullet the T10x0s dodged, not the previous switch away from being text-based.

As promised, I dug my T1000 out of storage, and it fired up just fine. So here she is, sitting on a T2000 of slightly later vintage, with no idea of the fate that awaits her (see screen image), Ain’t she a beauty?

IMG_1310.jpeg

Infuriatingly as ever, YouView never gave us Last Updated dates (which among other things would have nipped in the bud all those ‘my box updated, and now it won’t…’ complaints when there was no update rolling out) so the box powered up with ‘Last checked for update’ showing today 😢 But at least ‘Last checked for apps’ showed 13/07/2018, which seems about right, and 3.3.154/29.104.0 for the release level.

Updating it brought it to 3.3.168/29.107.0, so I guess there was or were updates indeed after that July 2018 date. Interestingly though, the skin has remained the BT skin, and never gone to the EE skin, despite me giving it several subsequent chances to do that, though my T2110 and T4000 have. It knows about EE though, as it has EE TV as an app.

Could anybody on EE TV still be using one of these, though? It doesn’t seem likely. While the BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and UKTVPlay still work, as do STV, S4C , WatchFree UK and POP, it doesn’t have itvX, Channel 4, My5, Now, EE TV, and curiously, not the GREAT! side of the GREAT!/POP player.

So, many apps don’t support it any more, even before the switch-off.

And what is still called the BT TV Player onscreen loads as the EE TV player, with the EE TV logo, but then declines to work since I don’t have an EE TV account, just like it declines on my later boxes. Though whether it would still decline to work even if I had an EE TV account, I can’t tell.

I did put the box through a Maintenance Mode Option 4 reset which worked OK; it claimed to have updated the software, but suspiciously quickly, and it didn’t change the version numbers from those on the update I did before.

Now to watch those recordings, maybe. It’s only 62% full….

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 33

Go to solution
The 1st gen boxes were never updated to the NextGen interface. They remained on the BT Globe branding, and didn't receive the major update that moved box management into the cloud.
The last update to the boxes was in November 2018, however it was only to update some internal certificates - there haven't been any actual updates to the functionality since 2016.
The EE TV app still works on the T1000 - as I mentioned previously, we've been forced to maintain legacy code for years now. This all ends next week.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 33

Go to solution

@DarrenDev 

To me, NextGen was what YouView did in 2016, moving away from the text-based interface to the image-oriented one, as described here:-

https://uk.pcmag.com/bt/86251/youview-begins-cloud-powered-next-generation-update

and the image there is what the T1000 interface looks like today:-

IMG_1312.jpeg

So are you saying NextGen wasn’t cloud-based to begin with, and that only happened with the later horizontal to vertical menu change?

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 33

Go to solution

It would be good if we could have the lists back on the recordings pages before the bolt is fired. The thumbnails will look bare without the pictures.

T1000.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 33

Go to solution

I can't even remember what it looked like before that @Midnight_Voice - much too long ago. You could be right about what NextGen actually meant.
It wasn't "cloud based" in the sense we know it now - it previously supported a MQ-style messaging service, that allowed the box to send/receive messages over the internet very slowly.  The T1xxx boxes (and DN370T) were left behind when the newer boxes moved to true cloud synchronisation.

@Jones_01 there won't be any more software updates for the T1xxx boxes.  Only the config change next week to kill the internet access.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 33

Go to solution

@DarrenDev 

It was just wishful thinking.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 33

Go to solution

@Midnight_Voice   the 4 player is still functioning  on my Humax  T1000 (it does take a while to load.).

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 33

Go to solution

@zulu17 

Well, the three apps itvX, Channel 4 and My5 all give me YVM105, and pretty much instantly.

One thing that may be involved is that the box is plugged into a Complete WiFi disc; but I have just restarted the T1000, power cycled the router, and power cycled the Disc to no avail.

But all the apps that still run, e.g. BBC iPlayer and Netflix, seem to be running OK, and all the other apps that won’t run work well enough to at least come up with a message to say so, after a delay that seems to vary from app to app.

With not much over a week to go until all the apps stop, I’m not inclined to dig any deeper; but that my setup may be an exception here is duly noted, and thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 33

Go to solution

4 and 5 apps work on our T1000. A modest delay in loading, but useable. ITVX shows as message saying that ITV Hub is no longer supported.