cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 33

Re: Very old youview T1000's internet withdrawal

Go to solution

I have 2 of what I assume are T1000s.  Black things with BT branding. They are slightly different.

One stopped connecting to the Internet from February. The other still does but it's one that has not been turned on recently and when I tried it yesterday it asked to do a software update. Can I assume that as long as I refuse the updates (is that possible long term?) it will retain its Internet connection?

Problem is that its not been used much because it tends to fail after tens of minutes of use until cooled down. So I can't use it long term.

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 33

Go to solution

@Solar 

Photos would help. The only difference between T1000s, as far as I know, would be in the stencilled BT markings on them; if they are very different, then one could be an old black BT Vision box, but I wouldn’t expect that to work at all.

You can (still) check in Settings/Device information what exactly you have; mine is a DTRT1000, Variant 80B07000.

For update-dodging, we found in 2016, if memory serves, that you mustn’t leave the box on overnight or it will update itself, and you only get a handful of requests for permission to update before the box just does it without asking anyway when turned on. You can of course postpone this indefinitely by disconnecting the Ethernet cable, but that rather misses the point.

But we were told that even if the box didn’t get updated, the YouView servers would anyway stop responding to input from boxes identifying themselves as T1xxxs,

Which actually seems to be what’s happening, as I still have the 3.3.168 (227a6c) and 29.107.0 software it  updated to on 8th February,  with only the Platform changing from 4146 to 4150, and ISP from 6002 to 404.

The significance, if any, of these last two I don’t know, though the 404 may be a techie joke 😛

Quite how it can tell me that I have the latest version of software, and yet complain of no internet connection when I try to update players and apps, I don’t know. But maybe it detects software updates by them having been downloaded, but not yet installed? That would explain it.

When retuning (or even before) Subscription channels has dropped to zero, so at least I don’t have the annoyance of all those BT TV channels being shown in the EPG when I can’t get them.

But overall, it doesn’t look like the box has been neatly transformed into a non-internet box by a final update; it appears genuinely surprised it can no longer reach the internet, and continues to erroneously diagnose this as a problem to be solved, and not the new order of things, planned and implemented 😢

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 33 of 33

Go to solution
Just a reminder: there haven't been any software updates since 2016, except a certificate update in 2018. To have changed the box to recognise that it was decommissioned would have required a software update with new functionality.

The box decommissioning was done in config - specifically, Platform Config 4150.