cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Why is BT webchat so slow?

I reported some faults on my BT/EE TV Box pro a week or so ago and  on 1 Jul and engineer arrived and after three minutes he'd retuned the box to re-instate lost channels, but as they keep disappearing declared I'd need a new box. I'm currently 52 mins into a webchat where the guy at the other end has a record of the visit, but no record of recommendations. He now wants to make a video call of some sort to check connectivity, despite me saying that all devices work all the time exactly as they should. Just not the BT Box.   Nearly an hour and all I want to know is when I can expect the replacement box.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Why is BT webchat so slow?

Update........with typically three minutes between responses and having set my laptop to have a webchat with my TV Box (I kid you not, the bloke on the chat wanted to see the box!!) I was all done after one hour and ten minutes. And guess what? BT have very kindly arranged for me to wait in the house a second time so that another engineer can come out and install a new box for me. It would seem that plugging in a few cables is way too complex for a customer to be able to grasp. I wouldn't mind, but the first engineer was utterly confused when I explained that it was the same transmitter multiplex that the TV Box keeps losing, he suggested I was hiding channels and then forgetting which.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@kanturner 

"it was the same transmitter multiplex that the TV Box keeps losing"

Which multiplex are you losing, and which transmitter are you receiving your signals from? How far are you from that transmitter?

Where is your aerial located - roof top, loft etc?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for your interest, here goes....

It's the Wrekin transmitter in Shropshire. I can see it from our house, there is a clear line of sight, but one or two channels do drop out when there is high atmospheric pressure. The antenna was chimney mounted  by the BT engineer at installation and seems to be pointing as it should, though I was bothered by the engineer fitting a 'joint' inside the house when he'd cut the cable too short and needed to extend it. He said it would be fine and that the other two 'redundant' aerials mounted on the same pole wouldn't interfere, though I asked him to take them down, he didn't. We are around 20 miles from the Wrekin and I've often wondered if pointing at the further away, but more powerful Sutton Coldfield transmitter might be better.

I thought it was MUX PSB1/BBCA that I was losing, but as I don't lose BBC1 (SD) it seems to be only a selection of channels from that MUX. As I reset the box again, as part of the chat referred to above, I currently have the full set of channels, but when I notice BBC2 (SD) has dropped out again, I'll go through the guide and list those missing.

My other faults are that overnight/absent recordings fail due to internet channels (usually sports) lose web connectivity every few days, but it might be one day, it might be many. At those times no apps are available on the TV box due to the lost internet connection and all internet sourced channels are reported as not available on my service. This could be a hub fault, but our Sammy TV is connected to the same Homehub with an identical cable to that used for the TV Box and never has any issues. Likewise all other household devices work well, all of the time, though these are all wireless.

I've checked and do check service availability on the transmitter webpage and there are never any coincident faults.

Any ideas well received.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Another thought Paul,

The BT/EE TV Box is set to SMART standby and switches to low power consumption mode at midnight, returning to quick-startup at 0600. This cycle occurs every day and doesn't appear to affect when the internet loss and channel loss occurs. As said these errors crop up as soon as a day after re-setting internet and retuning channels or they might all remain as they should for a week or more.

0 Ratings