cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Distinguishing unread emails

Hi all!

It used to be possible to tell which emails in my inbox were read and unread. I'm fairly sure the unread emails were in bold. Now I see the initials of the sender on the left had side of the email listing, but I can't tell which ones I have read. I've explored the settings and I don't seem to have any options to make this distiction appear. What do I need to do to be able to tell them apart? (Most other email accounts I have show a dot next to an unread email, which disappears when read but can be reinstated if you 'mark as unread')

Thank you!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Distinguishing unread emails

There is a list of "work arounds" for the BTMail here:-

BT Webmail Work Arounds. - BT Community

This is one of them.

"If you are having problems seeing what emails are read you can sort them into read and unread by clicking on the three bar upside down triangle icon at the right hand side of the email list".

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thank you, but I have already tried this and it doesn't seem to do anything. Perhaps it is sorting them by whether they are read or unread, but I still can't see which is which!

However, I'll check the list you kindly linked. Hopefully there is something there that does work.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

In the list of emails unread emails should be in bold compared to read emails. When you click once on the icon it should bring all the unread emails to the top of the list. Click on it again and it will bring all the read emails to the top of the list.

It is similar if you click on the other headings in the menu bar above the list. If you click on the word "Date" it will change the order of the emails to either the the most recent first or the oldest fist depending on what you want. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Hi again,

Thanks for this! I was going to reply and say that the unread emails are not appearing in bold, however, I have just been and double checked. They are actually in bold, it's just that in the typeface BT has chosen to display them there is barely any distinction between bold and regular weights. When I look carefully there is a slight difference. It is very hard to spot though! I can tell in daylight, but I'm not sure it would be possible in artificial light, which might be why I couldn't spot any difference before.

The one thing that does appear different is the time/date of the email. Now I'm looking for very small variations in colour I can see that it changes from purple to black, so I think I will have to use that as my indicator of whether an item is read or not!

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

If anyone from BT is reading this, perhaps you could test whether users can see the difference (it can't be just me!), use a font with a more distinct difference, or allow users to change the typeface.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

There is no mistaking the difference on any of the  computers and tablets that I have looked at.

Have you tried changing the brightness or contrast of your screen. 

If using a Windows computer see the following link how to do that.

Change color contrast in Windows - Microsoft Support

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

It must be something to do with my computer then, but it's a fairly new (2-year-old) macbook.

I've tried adjusting the brightness as you suggedt, but that doesn't do anything. However I'll play around with the other settings to see if any of them help.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I think I may have a solution. Firefox has settings for default typefaces, and there's a check box called 'allow sites to choose own font'. I've unchecked it, which lets me impose a font with more contrast between the regular and bold weights, so I can properly see the difference in BT mail.

The downside, of course, is that this is going to apply to all web sites, so I will have to remember to change the setting when I access mail!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

It would be much easier to simply use a mail client instead of webmail. Either the native Macmail or Mozilla Thunderbird.

0 Ratings