cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Email Error Code 553 Spam/Phishing

I see from previous posts on this subject that it has been around for some time, without be fixed by BT.

On trying to send an email (any email) , I get the error message 'Sorry your email could not be delivered due to content policy reasons ... Err code: 553'.

Following a previous response I tried a test email, which made no difference, so I cannot send any emails!

Any help gratefully accepted! 

Thank you

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Email Error Code 553 Spam/Phishing

Hi, @Cielo I'm sorry you're getting an error 553 when sending emails. 

The error 553 message means something suspicious has been picked up by the BT email spam filter within the contents of the email, the broadband connection you're using or the email client that you use to access your email. 

Have you tried logging into the BT Email website to see if you can send it from there?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your response. I log in through the BT email website when using my iPad and the problem occurs there as well as when I am using my laptop. I get the same message (err code 553), even when sending a test email (no content). I also cannot forward previously received emails, which clearly did not contain any spam.

So irrespective of the nature of the email the error code occurs; hence it cannot be a spam filter operating on the contents. I notice from other BT community posts that the problem has occurred with other users. 

Is there anything else I can do?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hi @Cielo 

Thanks for your reply. I think we might need to investigate this a little further to resolve it for you.

I've sent you a private message asking for some more details it may take us a few days to get back to you but we'll do everything possible to resolve this.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@Cielowrote:

Is there anything else I can do?

Don't use btinternet for email, use something else like Gmail. You will be far better off, will not have any bother if you decide to leave BTinternet for another ISP.

Message 6 of 7

Hi Andy

Thank you for your reply. It is my aim to move to gmail, but in the meantime my btinternet email needs a short term solution so that I can then migrate over my email address, which is registered for various two-stage verification procedures.

Many thanks

Cielo

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi @Cielo,

Thanks for taking the time to send us a private message.

I expect to have an update on Monday for you. I will call you and let you know what's happening.

Thank you
DanielS

0 Ratings