cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 131 of 167

Re: Email system repeatedly shuts down

I know I'll be flamed for banging on about it, but I really don't understand why folks persist with the godawful broken webmail rather than using a proper mail client. Save yourself a lot of grief.

Message 132 of 167

I'm not sure if anyone from BT ever reads this forum, but if you do, there is no shame in holding your hands up and admitting you were wrong. I have had my, 'talk21' email addresses since 1992. I never had cause to join a forum before to discuss issues with them until BT took them over.

There were many promises made at the time of launching the 'BT' versions, because initially it was an absolute catastrophe, however, many of the promised improvements never arrived. (I have bookmarked the initial, 'promise' thread but no real point regurgitating it now.)

I genuinely don't know why it isn't possible to revert to a platform that was working just fine (Yahoo) before you started your own. If there are licensing issues, I'm sure they can be overcome from the £7.50 per person income you now generate for Premium Email for such a problematic BT system.

I for one would be thrilled if you used the old Yahoo system and just overlayed a BT logo on it...

0 Ratings
Message 133 of 167

@licquoricewrote:

I know I'll be flamed for banging on about it, but I really don't understand why folks persist with the godawful broken webmail rather than using a proper mail client. Save yourself a lot of grief.

I use 3 devices regularly to access email. Phone, laptop, desktop, and occasional 'hotdesk'. I find access via webmail easy, and confidential without leaving a trail of emails behind me on a 'client' wherever I go. Especially in a 'hotdesk' situation where a 'private' window in a browser is perfect.

We'll never agree on this issue, you just have to accept that for me, and many other folk, accessing email via a simple web browser is just perfect. The issue is that unfortunately, BT, a branded communications company, seems to have issue after issue supply an email service for £90/year.

Sadly too, after 31 years of continuous use, I feel locked into my address.(It's like my home address, I have no desire to move) If it was 1992, I'd simply sign up for a Gmail one...

0 Ratings
Message 134 of 167

I entirely agree with you with regard to the hotdesk scenario, obviously webmail is the only sensible solution. But on your own devices?

0 Ratings
Message 135 of 167

@licquoricewrote:

I entirely agree with you with regard to the hotdesk scenario, obviously webmail is the only sensible solution. But on your own devices?

LOL, just a bit of 'security' OCD I'm afraid. If I ever had a home break in and they nicked my laptop, off go all my 103,000 emails! About 20 years ago, I had a 'work' laptop stolen. I used 'outlook' at the time, and the aftermath of that incident just tired me out. Luckily, they were just 'work' emails so I didn't care, but my 'talk21' emails are the last 3 decades of my life...

0 Ratings
Message 136 of 167

But the emails would still be on the BT server unless the thief logged in and deleted them if the client is configured as IMAP and with a client you can also back them up elsewhere if you wish.

0 Ratings
Message 137 of 167

@Bert4545
Can you not get a friend to help you with the techy bits?
0 Ratings
Message 138 of 167

@Stephen5000

If you only ever access your email using webmail, why are you paying for a BT Premium email account?

The only thing Premium about BT Premium email is the price.

The only user advantages to paying for BT Premium email over the free BTMail Basic account is that you can use your BTMail email account on an email client/app, which apparently you will never do, where as with BT Basic you can not do that. There are no BT adverts on BT Premium email.

You can add up to eleven BT email addresses which includes the ones you all ready have to BT Premium email however if you already have some BT email addresses they will all be available as part of your BTMail Basic account.

See link

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 139 of 167

@Bert4545 wrote:

How do I know I can trust them? Somebody says they have done what 'they' said, and everything's fine now. But how can I trust them? Also, those instructions are too techy for me.

You have obviously come on to this forum looking for help.

You can read through the forum and see if there are any posts where people have been given un-trust worthy advice or have asked users to do something that has caused further problems or "scammed" them in any shape or form.

If you do manage to find any such posts, which I doubt you will,  it would undoubtedly be remarked upon by other forum user and the moderators of the forum if that happened and that user would be removed from the forum.

If you do not wish to trust the users of the forum there is really no point in you being here.

Message 140 of 167

Thank you. That's very reassuring.

0 Ratings