cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

How do I stop BT email logging me in without asking for my password?

Hi, When I logged into my email I used to go to a log-in screen and enter my email and password. A couple of days ago I clicked the log-in link and was logged straight in. I thought maybe MS Edge was remembering my log-in details, but I looked under Edge Settings > Passwords, and my BT email is not in the list. So I assume that BT email itself is treating my PC as a "trusted device". This is obviously a disaster for security, but I can't find anywhere within my BT email to change this setting. Where do I look, please?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: How do I stop BT email logging me in without asking for my password?

I suspect that at sometime you have ticked the box on the sign-in page to keep you logged in, If I am correct then you will need to actually log out when you exit instead of just closing your browser window.

Go back into your email and, from the RHS of the screen, click on the arrow next to your email address and select Sign Out from the drop-down menu that appears

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi Les-Gibson, thanks, but I always log out of my email before I close my browser.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Try changing your password in webmail from a different browser.

Using Microsoft Edge, I just ticked the keep me signed in box to see what happened, I wasn't expecting the peculiar behaviour which followed.

Every time I clicked on sign out, my browser went back to the login page, auto-filled my details and signed me in again without asking and I couldn't find any setting in my account to stop it.

In the end I stopped Edge from signing me in automatically by closing it completely, I then logged into webmail using Chrome and changed my password.
As you would expect, Edge was then unable to sign me in and prompted me for the new password and that was it, everything is now back to normal

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@MrMole If you read this thread - https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/New-BT-Email-Can-t-log-out/td-p/2349439 -  you will see that others have the same problem and that BT have said they are investigating. There doesn't seem to be an easy workaround at the moment. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi PeterE17, thanks for that link. Having read it I now realised that when I log out of my BT email it takes me to BT.com, whereas it used to take me to my MS Edge home page. So it is log-out that is behaving differently, not Edge.

0 Ratings