cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 51 of 175

Re: Links in emails not opening in new browser tabs

Go to solution

@indigobluewrote:
Thanks Sue. You could also have pointed out that we have no choice other than webmail from BT, once you stop using them. We pay monthly for keeping the email address, which as you said, changing is not an option because of the upheaval. Basically they have us over a barrel!

If you're really bored, you can have a read at this 'update' message from 2 years ago when BT 1st adopted the old Yahoo platform. There are still  issues, though promised at the time, that are still outstanding. Use to be really annoying to me, but life goes on...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Email-migrations-Update-from-BT/td-p/2062527

Message 52 of 175

Go to solution

@indigobluewrote:
Thanks Sue. You could also have pointed out that we have no choice other than webmail from BT, once you stop using them. We pay monthly for keeping the email address, which as you said, changing is not an option because of the upheaval. Basically they have us over a barrel!

I couldn't have pointed that out, actually, because I still get my broadband etc from BT and so I don't know how the email works if you are paying just to retain the email address.

Changing is an option, it's just a different cost, time rather than money? Having said that, from experience of changing from something else to my BT email, it takes about five years to finally convince everyone to stop using your old email address. So, unless you're happy to miss the email from the long-lost relative that found your old address on a website somewhere, you would need to spend time AND money on it!

Message 53 of 175

Go to solution

@indigoblue wrote:

Of course you have a choice, that's why you are paying for your email rather than using the free Basic mail that IS only available by webmail. If you are paying for Premium mail you can you use mail apps and clients.

0 Ratings
Message 54 of 175

Go to solution

@Sue036wrote:

@indigobluewrote:
I couldn't have pointed that out, actually, because I still get my broadband etc from BT and so I don't know how the email works if you are paying just to retain the email address.

I have never had BT broadband, but have had a 'talk21' address since 1993. It's been kicked around numerous suppliers over the last 29 years until landing on BTs portfolio. They are the only supplier to ever charge me and I have the pleasure of giving them £7.50/month to maintain (£90/year)  the privilege. I just cannot contemplate the mental upheaval I would be under having used it as my primary address all my digital life if I lost it. Still, BT need the money.

So, I'm stuck...

0 Ratings
Message 55 of 175

Go to solution

Again, why are you paying £7.50/m if you only use webmail? Basic mail is free but only available by webmail.

0 Ratings
Message 56 of 175

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

Again, why are you paying £7.50/m if you only use webmail? Basic mail is free but only available by webmail.

A good point. I can only remember that historically BT threatened to close my account unless I started to pay them, and it simply scared me as I have no technical ability whatsoever to change the status quo. My whole online life revolves around that single email address, and I have no confidence to mess about with it.

0 Ratings
Message 57 of 175

Go to solution

Fair enough.

Message 58 of 175

Go to solution

@indigoblue wrote:

If you are no longer a BT Broadband customer your email account will be "downgraded" to the free BTMail basic product which can only be accessed using a web browser.

If you are paying a monthly charge for your email account via a BT Premium email account you can use it on a browser or an email client.

See link

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 59 of 175

Go to solution

Thanks for adding that information. It is the same for me, click on a link that normally opened a new tab and now it closes your email. Proper PITA. Why do they have to fiddle about for no reason.

This new improved email has been the biggest c***up since it was forced upon us.

Hopefully they will revert to the previous settings in the next update.

Why fix what is not broke?

Please don't tell me about email clients as I know about email clients and I preferred it as it was and you are preaching to the unconverted.   

Message 60 of 175

Go to solution

@Sue036 

@licquorice 

Hi Sue, yes, I have the same issue using webmail   I see BT had responding, but posted anyway to add weight to the number of users affected.

I have to use webmail,  because BT mal isn't compatable with Apple Mail.

0 Ratings