cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 101 of 107

Re: New BT Email format

@weedocol wrote:

Thanks, oh most worthy and extremely distinguished Sage.

I was contemplating that but I'm not sure what happens t o my BT email address. Clearly I cannot afford to lose btinternet.com, since that is how I'm known in hundreds of different accounts.  I subscribe to something BT offers which is to preserve the btinternet.com address even though I might be using a different supplier, but I wasn't sure how Thuderbird would handle it.

The sad thing is that I'm not seeing these issues on my other computer, nor on my wife's computer (both desktops) nor on any of our mobile devices (although they don't use BT Mail at all).

I'm just stumped - - I thought it might be Norton interfering at first but I've tried disabling bits and pieces  to no effect.

But right now I get to process 2 or 3 emails and then find I need to stop and start BT mail again - - so maybe Thunderbird is the right way to go.

Thanks anyway

CW

An email client/app is NOT a change of email service or email address.

It is just a different way of accessing your BTMail email account. Instead of using web browser (webmail) you use a stand alone program that was specifically designed to be used with an email system, unlike using a web browser which was designed to display web pages.

If you are using your email on your mobile phone or tablet you will most likely be using an email client/app to do that.

Webmail was developed by the Internet Service Providers so that they could could get their customers to use it (webmail)  and this would give them control over it making it easier to train staff on only one system instead of the plethora of email clients/apps over which they have no control and of course it also allowed them to be able to sell advertising space. 

It takes about 5 minutes to download, install and set up Thunderbird. If you set it up as an IMAP account it will synchronise your BTMail on the BT servers (webmail) with Thunderbird. All the folders and contents you have on webmail will be replicated on Thunderbird and visa versa.   

Anything you do on Thunderbird such as deleting or sending an email will be replicated on webmail and visa versa.

You can use both webmail and Thunderbird depending on your circumstances ie. you may want to use webmail when you are at work or using a friends computer to check your emails and use Thunderbird on your own device when at home.

If you find you don't like it you can always uninstall it without issues and your BTMail account on webmail will still be there along with all the folders and contents that were there prior to uninstalling Thunderbird.

EDIT: Just re read your message, are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email account through a BT Premium email account?

Message 102 of 107

The latter, I think 

0 Ratings
Message 103 of 107

@weedocol wrote:

The latter, I think 

If you are a BT Premium email customer (paying £7.50 per month)  you should be able to use an email client such as Thunderbird.

If you were neither a BT Broadband customer or a BT Premium email customer you would not be able to use an email client because your BTMail account would be a free BTMail Basic account which does not allow the use of email clients/app. 

0 Ratings
Message 104 of 107

@gg30340wrote:

@weedocolwrote:

Thanks, oh most worthy and extremely distinguished Sage.

I was contemplating that but I'm not sure what happens t o my BT email address. Clearly I cannot afford to lose btinternet.com, since that is how I'm known in hundreds of different accounts.  I subscribe to something BT offers which is to preserve the btinternet.com address even though I might be using a different supplier, but I wasn't sure how Thuderbird would handle it.

The sad thing is that I'm not seeing these issues on my other computer, nor on my wife's computer (both desktops) nor on any of our mobile devices (although they don't use BT Mail at all).

I'm just stumped - - I thought it might be Norton interfering at first but I've tried disabling bits and pieces  to no effect.

But right now I get to process 2 or 3 emails and then find I need to stop and start BT mail again - - so maybe Thunderbird is the right way to go.

Thanks anyway

CW

An email client/app is NOT a change of email service or email address.

It is just a different way of accessing your BTMail email account. Instead of using web browser (webmail) you use a stand alone program that was specifically designed to be used with an email system, unlike using a web browser which was designed to display web pages.

If you are using your email on your mobile phone or tablet you will most likely be using an email client/app to do that.

Webmail was developed by the Internet Service Providers so that they could could get their customers to use it (webmail)  and this would give them control over it making it easier to train staff on only one system instead of the plethora of email clients/apps over which they have no control and of course it also allowed them to be able to sell advertising space. 

It takes about 5 minutes to download, install and set up Thunderbird. If you set it up as an IMAP account it will synchronise your BTMail on the BT servers (webmail) with Thunderbird. All the folders and contents you have on webmail will be replicated on Thunderbird and visa versa.   

Anything you do on Thunderbird such as deleting or sending an email will be replicated on webmail and visa versa.

You can use both webmail and Thunderbird depending on your circumstances ie. you may want to use webmail when you are at work or using a friends computer to check your emails and use Thunderbird on your own device when at home.

If you find you don't like it you can always uninstall it without issues and your BTMail account on webmail will still be there along with all the folders and contents that were there prior to uninstalling Thunderbird.

EDIT: Just re read your message, are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email account through a BT Premium email account?

Definitely worthy of a 'sticky' - if this forum did such a thing 😁

0 Ratings
Message 105 of 107

Brilliant !!   Thanks so much for your advice - - I've now installed Thunderbird which is looking very promising.

I did have to check what sort of BT account I have and eventually did so by looking at my current account direct debits - yes, there it is at £7.50 a month - - came as a surprise because I think I'm right in saying it was £1.50 when I first started !!

Never mind - - this is going to be SO much better

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Message 106 of 107

@weedocolwrote:

Brilliant !!   Thanks so much for your advice - - I've now installed Thunderbird which is looking very promising.

I did have to check what sort of BT account I have and eventually did so by looking at my current account direct debits - yes, there it is at £7.50 a month - - came as a surprise because I think I'm right in saying it was £1.50 when I first started !!

Lovely to see someone that comfortable they don't even notice BT taking £90/year from them 😂

0 Ratings
Message 107 of 107

Yep !

loving it !

0 Ratings