cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

No longer able to access my emails using BT Webmail on my iPad

Since last Tuesday, 14 November 2023, I have been unable to access my emails using BT Webmail on my iPad using Safari as the browser.  After entering my email address and password, I get as far as the BT icon (the letters “BT” within a circle within a square) with the three pulsating black blobs underneath, but then Webmail hangs indefinitely.  I can’t get as far as seeing my emails.  Before Tuesday, it used to work perfectly well.

I can still access my emails using BT Webmail on my desktop PC (running Windows 10 with the Chrome browser) and on my mobile phone (running Android with the Samsung Internet Browser or Chrome browser).  And I can still access my emails using the Outlook email client on my desktop PC, which is actually the main way that I receive, read and send emails.  The situation is that there are occasions when I use Webmail as a convenient way of reading my emails while they are still on the BT mail server so that I don’t have to boot up my desktop PC in order to do it.

After entering my email address and password using BT Webmail, the appearance of the BT icon with the three pulsating black blobs underneath is something that never used to happen on my desktop PC, my mobile phone or my iPad, but now it appears on all three devices.  I’m guessing, therefore, that the code of BT Webmail has been changed very recently, and that it is this change that has put a spanner in the works as far as my iPad is concerned.

Another factor is that my iPad is the oldest of my three devices and it might be that code changes to BT Webmail mean that the system environment on my iPad is no longer supported.  However, having searched the Internet, I can find no specification of the system requirements for running BT Webmail.  And, if it is the case that the system environment on my iPad is no longer supported, it would be more helpful if BT Webmail would display a message to that effect instead of simply hanging indefinitely.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: No longer able to access my emails using BT Webmail on my iPad

Clear the cookies and cache from the iPad browser.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Already tried that:

Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data

is supposed to remove all history, cookies and other browsing data.  In fact, doing this is the only way of getting out of the hang within Safari.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Have you tried a different browser on your iPad to see if it is a browser problem?

Message 5 of 17

Yes, I have tried the Opera browser on my iPad, but exactly the same problem occurs - the BT Webmail code enables me to login but cannot get as far as displaying the emails that are on the BT mail server.

I was hoping that someone could confirm that BT Webmail was indeed updated at the beginning of this week with changed code.  And I was also hoping that someone might know where to find the system requirements for running BT Webmail for the various operating systems and browsers.  And, furthermore, I was hoping someone might have the ability to pass on a message to BT stating that, if a user tries to use BT Webmail in a system environment that is not supported by BT Webmail, it would be more user friendly if BT Webmail were to display a message to that effect instead of simply hanging.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Glad I am not the only one with this problem. BT, for some unknown reason changed the https and since then I have been unable to log in on my lap top, but have to use my partners.  bt.com/mail/index-rui.jsp?v=2.32.0#app/mail. This was old link but now it is similar link but figure 2 is now 3.

As you say above, if my system is now unable to receive this site, a warning pop up should be on there.

Can someone from BT reply ????????????????????????? (or are they just robots and no humans in sight ?)

Mike.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Hi @sparkymike and @Kleisthenes,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry if you're having problems accessing webmail on some of your devices.

Here is the list of minimum browser requirements for BT Webmail -

Screenshot 2023-11-18 155532.png

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Hi

I am also having an issue with getting emails on my ipad. Before I was switched over to digital voice on the 15th Nov I had no problems accessing my emails, but now I cannot access my emails on my ipad only on my laptop. I have checked my IOS version, the system says I am up to date but I have version 12.5.7. If I cannot update the IOS version how do I access emails??

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Digital Voice has got absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with email.

Try using the mail app on your iPad

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Thank you @PaddyB .  Like @SSkier , my iPad is running iOS 12.5.7, which is no longer supported according to the table.  I would appreciate knowing where this table of system and browser requirements is published on the Web.

It is interesting that Windows 11 is not mentioned.  An oversight?  Or is it the case that the table hasn't been updated since Windows 11 became available and is possibly out of date by now?

There is still no confirmation from BT that BT Webmail was updated with changed code at the beginning of the past week.  And, if iOS 2.5.7 is no longer a supported platform, there is still no explanation as to why BT Webmail simply hangs instead if displaying a user friendly message.

0 Ratings