cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Outlook - Send mails

Go to solution

I am no longer able to send emails via Microsoft Outlook 2016.  I can receive emails ok and all settings are correct but i am constantly asked to enter my password (which is also correct) without success.  Does anyone know if this is just an issue with mail.btinternet.com?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Outlook - Send mails

Go to solution

Are you presently a BT Broadband customer or are you paying for your BTMail email account through a BT Premium email account?

If neither of the above your BTMail email account will have been downgraded to the BTMail Basic account which can only be accessed using a web browser and not by an email client/app such as Outlook.

See link

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

I have a BT Premium email account which was working up until last week and now doesn't.  It doesn't accept my password for the outgoing mail server.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Does your email account work when you use webmail by logging onto a browser?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Yes it does.  it also works on the BT app from my phone.  It just stopped allowing me to send emails from outlook.  As stated i can receive them without a problem, which suggests the account is ok

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@jeffreypatton wrote:

Yes it does.  it also works on the BT app from my phone.  It just stopped allowing me to send emails from outlook.  As stated i can receive them without a problem, which suggests the account is ok

I would agree. There have been a few posts about Outlook not working recently. I don't recall if any of them were resolved.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

I have a premium BT email account and my Outlook 2016 has stopped sending emails via my BT account. I just get the dialogue box popping up asking for password.  I've spent hours trawling through YouTube videos and searching through fixes.

It used to happen periodically then fix itself and run for a while. But now it is permanent.  I've noticed on one video suggesting some of the the Windows 365 updates overwrote the original Office 2016 authentication.    https://youtu.be/-hjo4w7W7K0

Navigating to the Outlook Connection Status dialogue box the btinternet account is in permanent state of "disconnecting" .  Other accounts linked to Outlook (ionos) send email fine.  There is something not visible with the BT end that is causing the grief.   It seems a long standing problem going back at least 8-years.

Suggestions welcome.   

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

I managed to resolve my issue my turning my hub off for half an hour to enable it to pick up a new IP address.  After the new address had been assigned I was able to use my outlook 2016 to send emails.

Hope this helps others to get their issues resolved.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for letting us know you got this sorted @jeffreypatton .

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

I did all that turning the hub off for 30mins. 1 hour, etc.  It did not make any difference.

More researched took me to….

Microsoft community – suggestion 1

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/i-am-not-receiving-emails-in-my-outlook-20...

Microsoft community – suggestion 2

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/outlook-not-sending-or-receiving-emails/dd...

Looking at the second suggestion I noticed you can navigate to the Outlook repair tool via the control panel. I did so and it worked. This was interesting as it ran diagnostics, fixed whatever was amiss and sent a test email.

Navigating to the repair tool via Outlook itself always resulted in a loop – looking to make a connection - until it timed out. Meaning the repair tool was useless when access in that way.

I did implement the first suggestion prior to this. So I do not know if it was a combination.  If I needed to do it again I would try the second suggestion above as step one – but just to the extent of being able to access the repair tool in a way that it actually runs i.e. via the control panel.

It is just so much grief and frustration.  I do like the MS Office version of Outlook as there are plenty of formatting options and how the email appears to recipient is predictable. BT web mail format options are limited and not much further on than text messaging.  Messages can just arrive as plain text.   However, I do believe there is an underlying issue with how BT mail servers operate and compatibility with MS Office Outlook products.  I've no idea what it is though.   I'll will set up another computer with MS 365 email product to have as a fall back. 

0 Ratings