cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Problems accessing mail via POP3

I'm having problems receiving email from my BT email account using POP3.
I get an error message from my Thunderbird client on my PC which states "The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: no such message."
In the status bar of Thunderbird I can see "BT Internet: Downloading message 1 or 5..." even when there are no messages on the server.
I have checked all the settings in Thunderbird and they are correct. I can also access the account via IMAP through Thunderbird and can login to BT Mail through the web portal.
There is also a problem accessing BT Mail through POP3 with my GMail client. The error on that states "Error: Server is temporarily unavailable. Server returned error "Error in RETR command: no such message."
Is there a problem with BT Mails POP3 servers and when is this likely to be fixed?

Many Thanks,
Douglas.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Problems accessing mail via POP3

There's not a general problem with the POP3 server, I am getting mail via POP3 fine. The error you are getting indicates that the message sequencing on the server is out of step for your account. I think it will require BT intervention on the server to resolve, but as a test, could you try stopping Thunderbird and temporarily create the account on a different client (say Claws Mail or EmClient) and see if the same problem exists. If it does, BT intervention will be required, if it doesn't, you could try deleting and recreating the account in Thunderbird.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've already tried deleting and re-adding my BT account to Thunderbird and Gmail. That didn't help.

Tried setting the account up in Claws Mail and unfortunately I get the same error.

Looks like a BT intervention is needed on the server for my account.

I did try emailing the BT postmaster advising them of the problem but they just sent me to this forum stating they only dealt with queries from outside organisations having problems sending mail to BT mail servers.

So, apologies if this sounds like a silly question but, who do I email to get the BT intervention required!?

Thanks,

Douglas.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

You could try calling customer services on 150 (0800 800150) but you might have difficulty persuading them that it is a server fault and not your client.

Post back here if you don't get any sense from them and we'll see if we can get one of the mods involved.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Hi again,

Thanks for the help. It is appreciated.

I had no joy with customer services. At first they seemed to think I was having problems adding my BT mail account to Gmail and my PC's mail client. And as I'm not the main account holder (the main account holder is my sister who's unfortunately not available at the moment) they said they couldn't investigate the problem any further.

I understand the need for security measures but it seems harsh as I can get email through the web client and as a workaround I have mail forwarded to my gmail address which comes through to my PC and phone ok and I can access it through IMAP on the PC. So not being able to check one mail box for problems with POP3 is a little frustrating.

Would a mod be able to help or am I going to be in the same situation with security measures?

Thanks,

Douglas.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

I have alerted the mods to your problem but not sure if there will be the same problem of account ownership.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Hi @Wolfie67, welcome to the forum and sorry you are having this problem with your BT email account.

I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the Mod team and we'll be happy to help you get this fixed.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Support for BT basic email

Hi people,

Is there any kind of support for BT basic email that doesn't involve a call to the BT Premium Mail Team?

Thanks,

Douglas.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Hiya,

Thanks for everyones help with this. It's appreciated. Due to my situation with my email account being previously linked to a family members account which is now closed the mods could only offer limited support but I'm grateful for the help. They suggested I contact the BT Premium Mail team which I've just done.

They think its a server problem and have sent a technical referral to get it looked at. Three to four working days and the problem should be fixed or I have to call them back. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks,

Douglas.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Re: Support for BT basic email

You should not call the BT Premium email team about a problem with BT Basic email. BT Premium email is a paid for product while BT Basic is a free product. BT Premium email team will only help you if you want to "upgrade" your Basic account to Premium and pay the monthly fee.

If you have a problem you can contact BT 0800.800.150 or post what the problem is on this forum and you may get some help from forum members which I see you have already done.

Edit: I have merged your post to avoid duplication of effort and to keep all the information together.

0 Ratings