cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

email address has disappeared

My husband cannot access his email account. it is not listed in my account tho it says I've got 2 email addresses. i tried creating new one for him using his current address then get message saying that address already exists. So where has it gone, why can't we access it to change password so he can get back in to it

Liz

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: email address has disappeared

Hi @lizbos, sorry you can't access one of your email accounts. Get in touch with the email technical helpdesk by using the 'Message now' option on this page: Fix email | BT Help

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi John

I used the link you gave me and had a 4 to 5 hr interaction with someone who took me through lots of actions all of which did not fix the problem. At 9pm I was told that BT were having problems with changing passwords and I  ended the chat as I was exhausted.  Before leaving chat I was assured that today by using the bt mail app to change password my husband's email account would be unprotected and reappear in my bt again. I have just tried but get the message saying it is unrecognised! Please can you find out how this can be resolved. This all came about due to him getting an email from bt saying his addy may have been accessed by someone else and he'd  need to change his password. As it asked for mybt id he was unable to proceed (he's  not internet savvy) and I posted on here then followed the Iink you gave me. I can supply chat history if that would help. Liz

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Obviously I have no idea what you have tried or what BT have tried to resolve this so you may have tried the following already.

When he changed his password after getting the email, did he log onto his email account or click on a link within the email in order to change the password.?

What happened when he tried to change it?

What device did he use to change it?

When you set up his email account did you "gift" it to him and did he set up his own BTID?

See link how that is done.

Creating BT Email addresses? | BT Help

If you did not do the above, the email account should be linked to the BT Broadband account holder's email accounts, which in this case I assume is you. Did you previously see the email account in your BT email products in your MyBT?

If it is part of your email products try the following:-

Use only one device so make sure to turn off any other devices that he uses to access his email account.

Using a web browser, not an email client or app delete the history and cookies from the browser and then try logging onto his email account using the following link

BTMail 

Assuming it won't let you log on when you do that, what happens, what message do you get?

Use the "forgot log on details". After any captcha enter his email address and click next.

What happens?

You should get a message to send a PIN to your previously chosen mobile number.

If you have not set that up you need to log into your MyBT and go to your profile and in the "Contact Details" section enter a recovery email address and mobile phone number.

Once you have received the PIN number start the forgotten email log on details again. 

Assuming you get a PIN, follow the prompts.

Post back what happens.

If you did "gift" the email account to your husband and he did set up his own BTID, he should follow the above process by logging onto his MyBT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Hi

on my laptop I clicked btmail link with his email addy and password. I got purple page with Verify your Identity and nothing else on page!

Previous to this problem with his email it was listed in mybt. It does not appear there now as, apparently it's protected!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Hi I have also gone thro the forgot login details route and after entering code etc then got same purple screen asking me to prove identity!

Liz

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

You have not answered all the questions I asked:-

"When he changed his password after getting the email, did he log onto his email account or click on a link within the email in order to change the password.?

What happened when he tried to change it?

What device did he use to change it?"

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Sorry.

I got things wrong and misled you in that he didn't get the email it came to me. He told me he couldn't get into his account  and when he tried got the message that it was unavailable because of a suspicion that someone else was trying to get into it . He was told to virus check and then change his email password. He was asked for a security question which he didn't know and that's when I saw email from bt and though it was saying mine had been affected too. I didn't read email properly and, as my email was working thought email was a scam!

I realise now that, as his email was on mybt, it was my security answer he needed. When I was on chat convo with bt employee she went through the change process with me several times to the point where she expected it should be resolved. Was surprised when I tried to login to his email and was unsuccessful.  

He used his laptop, he doesn't have any other devices.

Liz

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

I think that somehow his email address has become detached from your account and has been locked in the process.

I doubt there is anything further you can do other than contact BT again and ask them to escalate this to the email team for further investigation in order to resolve it.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Thanks for trying to help. It has been escalated now.

Liz

0 Ratings