cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

BT 4600 Handsets - Do Not Disturb

My elderly father and I are both BT customers for many years. 

My Dad has a problem his phone rings just the once at anytime throughout the night, just one ring which wakes him up.

He has changed his  BT landline number with BT but again next night the phone (  new landline number ) rang once again.

It has rang always once -  2am, 4am, 6 am ...  He is very upset and BT have not really helped with this matter.

The main handset , the one that plugs into the main charging station which is connected directly into his landline.

No internet just a BT landline he is only using one handset , hence if you set  DO Not Disturb on the handset this does not ring BUT the charging station with its speaker still rings.

Is there something I am missing out how can I stop the main charges unit from ringing for his sanity, thank you.

What is the point of having a DO not disturb option ( you can set at night ) to stop calls waking you up throughout the night.  Just rings once , cannot see the last call info. it will not show whom has called.

If you can help, greatly appreciated.   

Personally I feel its' a BT problem not with his phone / not his number something in a local  BT connection box why would it only ring once throughout the night and even when changed his number something BT system related OR is this a known BT 4600 problem ? 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT 4600 Handsets - Do Not Disturb

@PJ32 

Turn the volume on the base unit off.

From any handset.

menu - settings - base settings - ringing - ringing volume - turn volume down until it shows "ringer off". Then ok.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Can anyone recommend BT handsets (2 units ) easy to use for elderly parent, good buttons, good noise level for a little hard of hearing.
Recommended BT handsets BUT we really need a DO Not Disturb button that works well - some phones have a Do not disturb button If you switch DO not disturb ON then all phones All charging stations will Not ring in the middle of the night, thank you.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Thank you Keith.

I assume this will always prevent the base unit from ringing anytime ?      Is this correct ?  Thank you.

The Phone / Handset will ring which is great  but at night time if I set  Do not Disturb on the handset then the phone will not ring and my Dad can get a good nights sleep.  

Just to recap -  base unit  we can set this to be always OFF,   just use the handset for ringing.

At night turn Do not Disturb and the handset will remain quiet at night.

With 2 handsets do you need to use DO not disturb for each handset ?  

Thanks again this is a big help much appreciated.  

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Turning the base ringing off just does that. Do not disturb is a global setting, and is applied to all handsets.

Bear in mind that any contact which is given VIP status, will always ring even if do not disturb is active.

So VIP status could be given to your number, so you can always contact them, or assigned to any other important number.

I am surprised they are getting so many calls  if Call Guardian is active, and set to announce for any numbers that are not stored in the phone`s directory.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

The manual implies that Do Not Disturb is a global setting, including the base.

At least on P.84 it lists Do Not Disturb being on as a reason why the base doesn't ring. So may need some experimentation.

Are you sure the base station is actually ringing & not just beeping? My 8500 base make a loud single beep when powered on. I'm wondering if there could perhaps be a power issue? Loose wiring in the socket, AC adapter not fully pushed home in the socket, connection to base station loose, etc.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

I must admit I do not use do not disturb, as virtually calls are dealt with by Call Guardian set to announce  mode.

Are you sure that Call Guardian is enabled? And are contacts not VIP unless they are close family?

Also the regular calls at those intervals, make me wonder whether is a call from the text to voice service, where BT are trying to deliver a voice message.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

@PJ32 

Call Guardian has to be on, for "do not disturb" to function.

Recommended setting Call Guardian mode "announce"

That normally stops 100% of unwanted calls, as scam callers do not announce themselves, as the calls are generated by a computer.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

@PJ32 

For the BT4600 to function correctly, then Caller Display (CLI) must be enabled on the phone line. I am assuming that it is enabled, and incoming calls display the calling number, and the caller`s name ( if they are stored in the phone`s directory).

Look at the incoming call log, and make a note of the number that calls at those odd times. If its 0845 6021111 then that would be the BT Text messaging service.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Thanks for the updates -  Base unit is now switched off no longer rings, just relying on handset to ring.

When Do Not Disturb is active ( tested it does work, handset now silent )  although if a contact is made a VIP  the phone does not ring.

I thought when a VIP contact rang they would still be allowed to ring - hence for VIP contact this appears not to work.

Does not ring just a message on the handsets screen who is calling but still silent, Is there something I am missing ? 

Thank you.  

0 Ratings