cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 30

BT Digital Voice

Go to solution

Suddenly got moved to Digital Voice yesterday and now have an alarm system that doesn’t work.  Apparently, if it’s not a monitored system ie Verisure etc who may have a work around, there’s no adapters and no fix!  I bought my house new and the alarm was already installed with a speech dialler and has worked great.  So do BT now expect me to go and buy a new system because of their switch to DV.  Honestly, I’m beyond raging - this cannot be right surely.  I asked them to put me back on a proper line and they said it’s not an option and changing is compulsory.  Any advice please before I self-combust!

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Re: BT Digital Voice

Go to solution
Message 3 of 30

Go to solution

All of UK is moving to this VoIP (Internet) based voice service as the current PSTN network that delivers the phone/voice service today is being closed by 2025. Industries have been consulted and should know about this as the programme kicked off back in 2017.

You maybe able to plug the dialler into the green phone port on the back of the Smart Hub 2 but it's best to speak to the alarm company as they may need to make upgrades to it and also check that it also complies with your house insurance policy.

FKH45E2XoAUQSfF.jpeg

Message 4 of 30

Go to solution

This post just answered a distraught old lady's query/problem thank you.  2 years ago as lockdown began BT put me and my ancient system (old Home hub 3 with copper 'phone line/ wired old PC / 2 old tiny 1GB sim 'phones ) on BT Halo1 - to be fair the poor young salesman would probably not have a clue what else to do!   Been paying almost £63 per month for the service - had to return BT box as I was paying for TV pkg did not need (as we watch on Free Sat and pay lic.fee) so hubby could watch the odd football game Sky sport/BT Sport - but became far too expensive for Pensioners!

Now out of contract and was puzzled that the only thing they could offer almost housebound old couple doing shopping online was Full fibre (openreach to install and will have to use Digital Voice 'phone - Alexa seems like a sci-fi horror to me!)  or of course we could have 2 'phones with EE in a pkg for around the same cost that will probably increase end of March by approx. 10%.  Reading here has just explained one more  way of isolating mid seventies and more oldies  in our crazy new world. I hope all you experts on here are looking after your Grandparents and Parents as being awake nights worrying about such things is accelerating  their requirements for the  'big' money saved to 'dispatch' them at a pace!  Thank  you and sorry to the kind young man I spoke with yesterday as he must have been traumatised speaking with the old lady who could only speak 'early sixties' language that must have sounded like ET! God Bless you.

Message 5 of 30

Go to solution

The dialler is not near to the hub, so couldn’t try that and I thought the lead from the phone had to plug into the green port on the hub? Surely any dialler on an alarm system would  now have to be Wi-Fi enabled to work or am I wrong? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution

@LadyMary wrote:

Reading here has just explained one more  way of isolating mid seventies and more oldies  in our crazy new world. I hope all you experts on here are looking after your Grandparents and Parents as being awake nights worrying about such things is accelerating  their requirements for the  'big' money saved to 'dispatch' them at a pace! 

I rather suspect that most of the experts on this forum are like myself and in their seventies. Please don't equate age with lack of technical interest.

Message 7 of 30

Go to solution

@kl227 wrote:

The dialler is not near to the hub, so couldn’t try that and I thought the lead from the phone had to plug into the green port on the hub? Surely any dialler on an alarm system would  now have to be Wi-Fi enabled to work or am I wrong? 

Digital voice doesn't use WiFi, it is DECT, just like any cordless phone except the base station is now the hub. The dialler can also plug into an adaptor.

Message 8 of 30

Go to solution

My sincere apologies, no disrespect intended. 

Message 9 of 30

Go to solution

I thought an adapter might work but BT said it wouldn’t.  I think I’m going to get one and try, thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 30

Go to solution

The adapter is just a DECT to analogue converter.