cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

BT lost my landline number

Hello, 

I was told by a BT advisor that they could port my old landline number over when setting up a new broadband and landline package with them.

I have now been told today that this is not possible and the landline number is lost. It is essential that I keep this number that I have had for almost 30 years, is there any way to get the number back? 
thanks 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT lost my landline number

@Jass4 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Did you move to BT Retail, from another provider?

Was the number that you are trying to keep, originally issued by BT Retail?

Have you changed address recently?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply.

yes I recently moved from Talk Talk. BT have stated that the BT advisor who set up the new package made a mistake and didn’t tick the option to port my landline across and because Talk Talk deactivated my service yesterday the number is just gone and cannot be retrieved. 

The number was probably from BT originally yes but that could have been 30 years ago or more. I have not moved address.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

@Jass4 

How long ago was your number de-activated?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

It was deactivated yesterday 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

@Jass4 

If the number was issue by BT Retail, then in theory, it should be possible to get it back, provided its not been inactive for more than 28 days.

Is there any specific reason why you need to keep the old number, as many people just use their mobile number for keeping in touch?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Thank you

I don’t really use my mobile for calls and all my family and old friends know my current number, it would be a long and difficult process to communicate a new number out to everyone.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

@Jass4 Have you asked BT for a re-number back to your original number, as that should be possible?

It possible a moderator may be able to help, if BT cannot do a renumber. But any request would need to be completed within 28 days.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Do you know who I can contact to look into retrieving the number please? 

The main BT helpline were unable to help with this so I’m wondering if there is anyone specific I need to speak to to resolve this.

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Before DV , this wouldn’t have been a big issue , temporary BT number for a while , then a renumber from the temporary number to the phone number Talk Talk are in the process of returning to the range holder ( presumably that’s BT if you have had the number  30 years  ) but with Digital Voice it’s often the case that the number is  irretrievable if it isn’t migrated immediately …perhaps a Mod will offer to try and help  , but it may not be possible to get it back .

0 Ratings