Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

BT have 'lost' my landline number..

Go to solution

Hello,

I'm a new BT customer (2 months) 

BT said I could keep my old landline number when I moved across from Virgin but it would have to go into quarantine (!)

However, when the 2 weeks quarantine was up they said the number was now lost/unavailable.

After speaking to several different staff on the phone, the number appears to still exist somewhere but BT can't get to it - a sort of landline Limbo it seems. Nothing seems to get done. An impasse seems to now exist where no one will take responsibility and retrieve my number or tell me why or how to resolve the situation.

BT Openreach was mentioned a few times as potentially being a solution but it seems no one will deal with the issue.

I just want this resolved - it's crucial I get the number back.

If I leave BT will this free up the number ? Can Ofcom help ? Are BT in breach of contract for saying I can keep my number then not doing it ?

Many thanks - Faldo.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT have 'lost' my landline number..

Go to solution

There is never a guarantee that you will be able to keep your number when porting from another ISP.  There is also more likely problem porting from virgin who are not using the openreach network.  Was the number issued to you initially by virgin or another ISP?

If it is 2months since number was active/cancelled by virgin then unlikely you will manage to get number as normally max 28 days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

@Faldowrote:

If I leave BT will this free up the number ? Can Ofcom help ? Are BT in breach of contract for saying I can keep my number then not doing it ?

No, no and also no.

@Faldowrote:

I just want this resolved - it's crucial I get the number back.

Do you have Digital Voice?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

No, don't have digital voice.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks.

According to the BT rep who signed me up, keeping my old number was fine (an old BT number from decades ago).

From my dealings with several different BT staff it seems no one can get to (for whatever reason) speak to Openreach - maybe it's difficult, maybe too much bother when the goal is to make money I don't know. 

Feel hugely let down.

The TV service has been poor also - sporadic picture break-up, several Failed Recordings and skipping/jumping menus from time to time.

Oh well.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @Faldo I'm so sorry there have been problems porting your number after you transferred to BT. I can't make any promises but we'll be happy to check if anything can be done to get your number back. I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch with your details.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @Faldo ,

Thanks for sending over the details. That should be all sorted for you now and the old number restored. Post back if you have any other problems.

All the best

David

Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks David,

And thanks for phoning to let me know.

Though the number ( 0141 etc ) still can't be reached.

It does ring out when you're phoning, but not at the other end as it were.

Thanks again.

N.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

@Faldo 

Please edit out your number as this is a public forum.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

@Faldo I'm sorry I'll let @DavidM know that you've posted.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings