cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Broadband and phone not working new customer

I was wondering if anyone could help me please?

I recently signed my 73 year old mother onto BT as they were offering a deal for broadband and phone for £20 per month to people on benefits. 

On thursday morning - 19th january, my mothers active and working phone and broadband was disconnected from shell services, i received a text saying the BT line was active at 16.30. When i went to set up the router and telephone - the router was glowing orange and the phone line is dead when ringing out. I contacted the help and support who advised me Not to connect the router to the ADSL filter like the instructions showed and connect the router directly to the original box on the wall in my mothers house. I found a lead that allowed me to connect the router directly to the wall socket. Still nothing. 

Is there anything else i can try please? My mother only has the landline and if she needs to contact anyone in an emergency - she now cant, the line was fully working before BT switched it over last week and she is upset at an engineer having to come in as she has been housebound for 6 years and concerned over someone coming in and covid. It appears to me the problem sits outside of her property as everything was working fine (within her house) under the previous supplier. I cannot get anywhere with the "support" at BT. They keep saying the fault must be my mothers connection as "everything appears to be up and running their end" - is it not possible there is a fault somewhere leading to the house - years ago it would have been "a connection from the exchange" to the house. 

Thank you for any assistance or advice you can provide 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband and phone not working new customer

if your mother is a new BT broadband customer was she told that she would be on digital Voice for her phone service as that no longer uses the phone socket but any existing phone needs to be connected to the phone socket on back of the hub.  however if you have no broadband connection then phone will no work

if hub connected to the phone socket what colour is the hub lights

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

If the date BT gave for service has now passed and no service, and trying to get the ‘order’ looked at isn’t having any success, then report it as a fault.

There is also some misunderstanding ( or you have posted inaccurately) , if telephone is via Digital Voice then your phone plugs into the broadband router , if it’s not DV , the phone remains in the phone socket on the wall, if on DV , if the router isn’t ‘working’ , then the phone won’t work either , you will have been told if it’s DV , it probably will be , if the broadband is FTTC .

BT don’t do the changes Openreach do….it’s possible that an error has been made by Openreach moving you from Shell to BT , that could have BT systems detecting no errors, but you having no BT service,

I would report your broadband faulty to BT irrespective of it being a ‘new’ service from BT .

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Thank you for your message.

Yes she has got the digital voice service which i connected her phone into the standalone white digital voice adaptor plug, leaving the ADSL filter to connect to the BT wall socket with just the hub connected to filter, connecting the hub to the filter via the grey square ended cable - supplied in the box. The assistant asked me to connect the hub directly to the BT wall socket at first - which i couldnt do as the cable supplied had square grey connectors each end (same as what fits the hub), i then found a square ended lead at one end to fit hub with a rectangular flat (telephone) connector the other end which i had spare and unused from previous supplier to connect the hub directly to the BT box on wall. Phone still plugged into digital voice adaptor plug. Still no internet. The hub starts off flashing green, then flashes orange and then turns to stable orange. The digital voice adaptor with phone plugged into it continues to flash green. 

This is one of my concerns - as the internet is not working - she now has no phone in an emergency as it now runs from the digital voice service which requires internet connection. At least under her old supplier - her phone would work if the internet went down. She wont answer her door as the ring door bell camera doesnt work either but thats not a major problem and i can order her some shopping but its if she needs to phone someone in an emergency or falls or if she needs an ambulance etc. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

As stated, your service appears not to have been transferred correctly from Shell. Get back to Customer Services and report the fault 0330 1234 150. If you get no joy, post back and we'll get the mods involved.

I suspect the CS agent assumed you had filtered faceplate with both DSL and phone sockets rather than a standard master socket with just a phone socket.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi @Spf1949, sorry that the connection isn't working and I can understand your concern.

Have you contacted the faults team and reported the fault? The fault maybe external and the engineer won't necessarily need access in that case.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thank you all for the messages. An engineer came out last thursday, made sure the connection to the green box was fine. He plugged his PDA looking device into the telephone socket in my mothers living room, he said he had internet connection via the device (telephone socket working - as we knew it would due to previous working connection under shell and the line appeared to be working from BT) and that there must be a problem with the router or settings but he was only an openreach engineer that deals with outside lines and couldnt do any further testing.  He left at 14.30. Over 24 hours later - i hadnt had any follow up on what was happening so i telephoned faults again. They suggested i need a "cube" engineer i think they called it. Penned in for 12.00-15.00 today - 31st january. Ive just phoned to check they were definitely coming today (not received any text or email confirmation) the very helpful lady informed me that the appointment had been raised but no EBS code has been put in place so its likely no engineer will be coming out and their line was engaged constantly so she couldnt get through to them. She has arranged for a mini hub to be sent out for internet access and a new router due for thursday. 

Is there any where i can raise an official complaint to please? its nearly 2 weeks my housebound elderly mother has been without a working telephone and internet to order her shopping and medical items. it doesnt look like the problem will be resolved soon. Im struggling to book annual leave at work each time to be there for an engineer to "come out to her". 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi @Spf1949 I'm really sorry the issue with your mother's broadband and line has not been resolved and can appreciate the worry and inconvenience this must be causing.

I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll be happy to help.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings