cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Cancel BT package including landline and pay for redirect for a month

I am cancelling my landline (Digital Voice) and broadband package due to a house move and there being no FTTP premises (as I have now ) at the new house. I want to set a redirect on the landline number  (as we have had it for 36 years) and was told by one BT Guide that this was possible at a cost of around £30  However I have spent 45 minutes on the phone to BT today where this time I've been told it is not possible.   This should be an easy option with DV. Can anyone clarify?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Cancel BT package including landline and pay for redirect for a month

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

why can't you just transfer your package to new home ( as long as openreach can provide a service no need to cancel)

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

I currently have 100MB download - new address has 8MB from BT ( no fibre at all)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

to see what is available at new address can you enter address here and post results  remember to delete address

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

if you are in fixed term contract with BT then your will have cancellation charges to pay if you cancel

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Happy to be corrected but it seems unlikely that you could divert calls from a phone service you'd be no longer paying for.

I take it you are also aware that lack of FTTP doesn't give you a right to cancel without early termination fees?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

I have already been told there is no exit fee as they cannot provide a comparable service. I was also told that there was a facility to redirect  my landline for a month ( I also saw it online but cannot now find the page on the website). This should be an easy function with DV and so is an easy earner for BT (at the £30 I was told)

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

I think the OP is wanting ‘caller redirect’ , rather than simply call diversion ( which would need a working line so that it could be turned off and on as required ) , caller redirect doesn’t need the ‘number’ to be working at an address .

Although possibly counter intuitive, the OP statement that with DV it should be ‘easy’  isn’t necessarily going to be true , when BT were an integrated provider ( responsible for everything ) situations where ( for example ) someone was moving address into a different exchange area or possibly a different part of the country, they could have various options dealing with incoming calls to the ‘old’ number , CNI ( changed number interception ) the operator answers calls to the old number and could either onward connect or pass on the changed number to the caller , or what the OP apparently wants ‘caller redirect’ , where an automated voice advises the caller of the new number , there was even a facility much like call diversion where calls to the number were redirected without the caller realising, the ‘diverted’ part of the call charged to the owner of the number called ( so no extra charge to the caller ) this was used by businesses as a phantom office , business that wanted the appearance of having an office in a particular town or city , so callers assumed if they rang a local number the company must be local,  but the company could be located anywhere .

These facilities may or may not have been incorporated into DV , as relatively niche products they  may not have been worth the development costs , and allowed to disappear from the product portfolio with DV , presumably the BT Mod will know ( or be able to find out )  , as the OP seems to have been given contradictory information .

What I would say , going back to an earlier time , these products were not purchased on a one off fee basis , so if it’s available and £30 , that will be £30 a month , or a quarter, or whatever , stop paying , the calls are no longer ‘redirected’ they would simply get ‘number unobtainable’ tone , so these facilities were generally just for a short period to catch the occasional person unaware of the new number , it was never a permanent solution.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

the BT T&C  say you can cancel your service free only if openreach cannot provide a service.  It does not need to be the same as you currently have and from what you posted openreach can provide a service to your new address

it would help if you use link I posted so can see what is available at new address

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

This is what I get with the new address

caroandrew_0-1700665751936.png

I do not want the phone calls to my current landline to be redirected to ring another number. Simply a message to say 'number closed - please call xxxx'  and just for one month

0 Ratings