cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Cancel landline

I need to cancel the landline for my elderly mother in law who is now in a care home over 100 miles away from me. I have all account details, power of attorney, have even set up on online account with her details as advised by BT on the phone who could not cancel unless they spoke to her (which she is not capable of doing, plus I am not with her). Have now found I cannot cancel through the online account even though that is what I was advised to do. Short of just cancelling her direct debit to provoke a response from BT, please can anyone advised how I just cancel her account?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cancel landline

I have asked a moderator to help.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Don't cancel the direct debit, that will just cause grief. You can't cancel online, you need to speak to a customer services agent. Call again and be insistent that you have POA and that you are authorised to deal with the account. If still no success, post back and we'll get the mods involved.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Thanks but I have already tried ringing and apparently power of attorney was not enough!  So I don't want to spend another hour trying to get through and be told the same again 😞

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

@NEWTY I'm sorry if this was not explained fully when you called, registering as an account manager online will mean we now have your details on record and can deal with you when you call back. We have to be very careful when taking instructions to cancel a service as well as comply with data protection laws. 

The POA can also be registered with us by following the instructions on this POA help page.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings