cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Confusing Digital Voice announcements from BT

Both my online account and one I manage for a relative recently got tagged 'Digital Voice coming soon'. I contacted BT for more info and was twice told (via online chat) after checking my account that it was available in my area. Another  phone call to BT today proved that wrong. As copper wire still forms part of the local network here, DV is not available and won't be it seems until full fibre reaches us.  

I have no real problem with that. What I think BT could do better is to a) stop flagging accounts with incorrect info and b) at the top of their DV info page on the website, state clearly that full fibre is a prerequisite. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Confusing Digital Voice announcements from BT

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Copper wire has no bearing on the availability of Digital Voice. DV is VOIP and can be provided by whatever medium supplies the broadband.

Message 4 of 9

@Capercaillie 

When you come to re-contract, you will find that you will have to accept Digital Voice, even if you are on a copper connection.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Digital Voice doesn’t need FTTP to be delivered, it can ( and is ) delivered over FTTC , the copper loop isn’t disappearing for a while , DV is a prerequisite for  the switch off of PSTN ( not copper pair replacement ) 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the prompt response. This was the explanation given to me by the agent on the call this morning: “Usually DV is only available on full fibre.” He said he’d do more research and in order not to keep me on the line, I should check my email later. If the email showed changes to my contract it meant he’d succeeded in adding DV. Several hours later, no email. My contract isn’t up until April 2024 and I would like DV before then as call quality on copper lines oh t in the sticks is distinctly variable.

If the advice I was provided this morning is wrong, I’d like to know who best to call in BT to get DV added to my services.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@Capercaillie between now and before December 2025 everyone will be moved to Digital Voice be that if they are on ADSLx, FTTC or Full Fibre (FTTP).

Have you received any other Comms such as letters or emails about Digital Voice for those accounts? There is a migration process for existing customers and you may be seeing these as the accounts are on one of the migration batches. According to bt.com/digitalvoice it states:

If you’re an existing BT customer:

We’ll contact you when it’s your time to move. Once you receive your first letter, it’s around four weeks until your official switch date. If you have any questions or need help, please call us on 0800 800 150.

We’ll then send you a postcard letting you know about the equipment you may need to order. If you do have to order anything, it will be free of charge.

You may also be offered Digital Voice if you make a change to your broadband plan.

For most households, it’s a simple case of unplugging your phone from its current socket and plugging it into your Smart Hub 2 on Switch Over Day.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I’m not sure if there is a process to request a move onto DV ( provided you already have FTTC and a SH2 ) , often re-contracting can ( as part of acceptance of a new minimum term and new T&C’s ,)  include migration to DV , and there is the BT instigated change where the customer is advised of an upcoming migration to DV ( which AFAIK doesn’t extend any minimum term ) but there doesn’t seem to be much discussion of how someone would go about changing mid term voluntarily to DV , or if it’s even possible to request it.

If you have received communication stating that DV will be coming soon , presumably migration to DV will happen ‘soon’  , and trying to speed up the migration may cause issues.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@jac_95 Thank you. The only notice is the badge that's appeared on the home page of my account. It wasn't there until very recently. I appreciate there's a migration process but my purpose in requesting the change ahead of time is to (hopefully) improve the call quality to a hearing impaired relative. Given what I now understand, that FTTC isn't a bar to DV working, the change is at no cost and doesn't change the term or conditions of my current contract, common sense suggests I ought to be able to request it. Which is probably why I can't have it :0)

@iniltous suggests my trying to force the issue might be counterproductive. I accept this might be the case and might yet hold off, but I'll try again with another call to BT armed with what I've learned here.

0 Ratings