cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Copper Landline

My current bt contract was a fibre and phone line contract and since the new phone service has started it does not meet my requirements.

I needed a copper line that was available even with a power cut. That is the point.

1. why do I have to continue to pay for a service which has substantially changed and is no longer fit for purpose?

2. Can I have the phone line simply removed from my contract without the farce of having to sign a new contract to do something so straightforward?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Copper Landline

you cannot do away with the phone line as you need a 'line' for your broadband but you can decide not to be able to make/receive call with your house phone.  that will probably be a new contract for broadband only and may save you up to £5pm probably less and the cost of any calling package you have

you can try phoning options team 0800800030 and see if they can help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Copper Landline

@ClaudiL 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

The existing exchange based phone network is closing down in 2025 so the option to have a phone line powered from the exchange battery will be gone. Most new provisions now use BT Digital Voice.

I assume you now have BT Digital Voice, so all you need to do is to maintain the power to the BT Smart Hub2, during a power cut. There are many ways to do that, and all have already been discussed on this forum.

This thread is a good place to start https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

You can remove the ability to make and receive calls, by choosing a Broadband Only package, but any cost saving is minimal, and you would need to rely on a mobile phone instead.