cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Dial up modem with digital voice?

Hi, I am due to be changed over to DV on 31st Jan. 

I work from home and the company I work for still has equipment that uses dial up modems to manage it remotely.

I assumed the modem would work using the DV adapter but I just saw a reply to a question about fax machines that said neither faxes or modems would work.

Can anybody confirm this is the case? Somebody who has actually tried it would be good rather than a theory either way 😁

I will report back next week once I get the adapter. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Dial up modem with digital voice?

@sparkymc 

I would not expect it to work. BT had an earlier VOIP service called BT Broadband Talk, and modems did not work then, owing to the nature of VOIP where data is sent in packets. This process does not affect speech, as speech has natural pauses. Modems expect a continuous unbroken connection.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Also to add, is this equipment in the UK? As the PSTN network is closing by 2025 and would require any equipment across industries to upgrade their communication methods used for such equipment if using the PSTN network today.

Examples have been lifts, traffic lights, alarms, monitoring and telemetry equipment have all had to be upgraded.

There's a lab that you can use to test the equipment you use

https://www.openreach.com/upgrading-the-UK-to-digital-phone-lines/industry

Message 4 of 10

@jac_95

Yes the equipment is in the UK. 

I am well aware of the 2025 date as the company I work for is a large telecoms company. We have lots of cutting edge kit but still have some we need to dial up at 9k6 !

Anyway as I say I will let you all know if it works next week. Probably won't interest / affect 99.9% of the population. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

@sparkymc wrote:

@jac_95

I work for is a large telecoms company. We have lots of cutting edge kit but still have some we need to dial up at 9k6 !

You might get away with a 9.6k modem, as they used to work, even on noisy lines. I remember the 1200/75 Prestel service, as I used to maintain it. I even remember the early 300baud modems that sat underneath a dial phone. When I started work in 1968, things like that were pure fantasy.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

So I have been changed over to DV. 

The modem works fine plugged direct into the hub but using the adapter its a bit hit or miss whether the modem at the other end answers. If it does then it works ok. 

My office is directly above the living room where the hub is so I wouldn't think it was a range issue on the adapter. 

Anyway it works well enough I don't need to drive to the office 25 miles away each time I need to use the modem. phew. 

Note I am connecting at 9k6. Might be different if it was 56k.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

That is interesting, as it also means many care alarm systems would still work, as they normally only use fairly low data rates. As you say, 56k may be asking too much.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@sparkymcwrote:

So I have been changed over to DV. 

The modem works fine plugged direct into the hub but using the adapter its a bit hit or miss whether the modem at the other end answers. If it does then it works ok. 

Just curious, what is this adapter you refer to?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

BT supply a Digital Voice adapter which is just a DECT receiver with an Analogue port that you can plug into any mains socket and then plug an Analogue phone into it.

Message 10 of 10

The DECT link back to the home hub, is going to degrade the line quality, which is probably why modems do not work reliably.

0 Ratings