cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Digital Voice Call Charges

I understand the need for the change BUT.

If I want to make a VOIP call or whatever you want to call it I can just use WhatsApp, Discord, Facebook or any other app that allows internet calls.

Digital voice uses broadband which I am already paying for.

How on earth can BT charge for phone calls that are routed through my broadband when I can call for free through an app?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Digital Voice Call Charges

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

With the apps you mention you can only call other people provided they are using the same app. You are not able to call anyone who does not have the app or does not have internet connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

So customers who have paid for broadband should get free calls.

Those who choose to have a "dumb" router, i.e one which does not have Internet access can p.a.y.g.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Hi @alec2   The delivery is different, but the call plans and charges are exactly the same

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

@alec2 you are comparing apples with oranges.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Excuse me! 

Can you not see the wood for the trees

If I make a call on digital voice I am paying twice.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Of course you aren't. You are paying for the equipment to route a phone call to any number in the world. Just being connected to the internet doesn't connect you to the number you require.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

No one is obliged to take DV , so if you think paying for phone  calls , when you can use applications like WhatsApp, the solution is pretty obvious, don’t take a (DV) phone package with your BT broadband, take a broadband only service …FWIW , even ‘traditional’ VoIP suppliers no longer offer ‘free’ calls , VoIP  isn’t free  , and as stated isn’t comparable with ‘Apps’ .
If BT offered ‘free’ DV with every BT broadband service , you will get those that don’t want a phone service included, and they will demand a reduction in the price for not having the phone service , so whatever way you look at it , there has to be a price difference between broadband on its own and broadband and phone.

In your case , just take a broadband without a phone , then you have no reason to complain, and obviously you can use as many applications as you like .

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

You are correct about having to pay for BT Digital Voice.

BT can charge what ever they want for calls on its DV service but don't forget you are under no obligation to use it.

If you don't want to pay to use BT's DV phone service you just cancel that part of  your package.

You can then make your calls using Whats App or what ever other service you want to such as your mobile phone service if you have one. Their calls are free that is if you don't count your monthly bill for "free" calls,texts etc.

You will no doubt find that if you decide to just use Whats App to make your calls it is limited  in who you can call but what the heck its free so I'm sure you wont miss not being able to call some people.

As regards already paying for Broadband so why are you paying for DV, does that also apply to Amazon Prime, Netflix  BT TV or any other service you have to pay for that arrives by Broadband?