cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 31

Re: Digital Voice - Cannot receive all incoming calls (Very frustrating)

Go to solution

Think of this issue, then multiply it by the number of providers still offering a voice service, each with their own multiple nodes, and you can see what is coming.

Its hardly surprising that some ISPs are no long offer their own voice service, and advising customers to use third party VOIP providers, which often do not offer the same degree of security.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 31

Go to solution

@David53 

Different routing for each call, that has always been the case to allow for network failures. The problem is, identifying the failing routes. A nightmare for sure, assuming records still exist, or are accurate. Many staff changes over the years, can result in such information getting lost. That applies to all providers.

Back to the days of the old mechanical Strowger exchanges, when call failure were very common, mostly down to faulty equipment, but occasionally bad routing by the "Traffic" people.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 31

Go to solution

And this is the phone service the most vulnerable are relying on?

I can appreciate that it's hard hard hard work getting everything right and I am amazed by the feats of engineering that the people behind it have to pull off... but still some straightforward communication would have helped. Something like "You may potentially have problems receiving calls. We're looking into it and hope to have it sorted soon." before the DV service is ordered or switched over to it.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 31

Go to solution

The links supplied don’t appear to show the same problem ( intermittent no incoming calls  )  the first doesn’t mention DV at all , in fact it states  the phone is connected directly to the wall socket which suggests that they have not been migrated to DV , if the intention is show evidence  of a widespread problem with DV then a little more care needs to be taken linking to other posts , that one is a PSTN issue not DV  .

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 31

Go to solution
I'm curious, do you work for BT? You seem to have the same attitude. You are correct, I have removed the first link.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 31

Go to solution

No I don’t work for BT , like most on here I’m a BT customer, and for full disclosure a shareholder , I like to think I’m ‘fair’ if it’s BT failure I’ll say so , often though ( understandably ) a complex issue with many variables is presented inaccurately.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 31

Go to solution

@David53 

The only BT employees are the forum moderators. There are people posting that have worked for one of the BT parts in the past, and will try and help with advice.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 31

Go to solution

@David53 and @c64z86 you both appear to be affected by a routing fault within the DV network especially if it's happening when callers from non-BT networks can't get through. This should not happen, the cause needs to be investigated and fixed. 

I am sorry about the inconvenience caused and the difficulties experienced when reporting it to the helpdesk. I wouldn't say it's a widespread digital voice problem, it's something that can also happen on the PSTN network, usually after migrating from another provider.

I will send you both a private message so you can contact the moderation team and we'll be happy to help.

Thanks

Neil 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 31

Go to solution

Thank you so much, but it will probably be frustrating for you and your team to deal with as I don't know all the networks that are trying to call me, so I cannot help you identify where the problems may be coming from.

You will be able to call me fine, as when one of your team has done in the past when you called me back as a test... but still it doesn't help that I have problems receiving calls from other networks. One of my family members trying to get through uses an EE mobile... but i can't tell you at all what networks the other people are trying to get through to me on.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 31

Go to solution
Very good point to remember!
0 Ratings