cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Digital Voice FORCES use of cordless phones causing documented health symptoms

We have 3 floors with 2 immobile seniors and 1 electrosensitive individual. So we need to wire up 3 phones in the house, and not use 1890 MHz 250mW radio waves to connect to phone 2 and 3. But there is no option to do this offered by BT/OpenReach. Is it really possible that BT has COMPLETELY IGNORED the documented symptoms of perhaps 1% of the population, over 1/2 million people in the country, just because they have their own beliefs on the matter (which they have to have while beaming BT-wifi signals into millions of homes that never asked for it.)

How difficult would it have been to allow us to WIRE UP OUR DIGITAL PHONES rather than be forced to use 1890 MHz 250mW radio waves? Answer: not difficult at all. So how did this come about?

My questions are as follows:

1. who is responsible for this decision?

2. How can I get in touch with these people?

3. What is BT/OpenReach going to do to reverse this absolutely incredible decision.

Incredible, because it is not a matter of consumer choice: we are being literally FORCED by BT/OpenReach to adopt wireless technology in our homes, or to not have phones. I am no longer able to use landlines here, and I know of no system which offers non-cordless systems.

I repeat: electrosensitivity is a documented set of medical symptoms affecting 1%, the scientific cause sof which are an active research topic with many explanations involving "biological effects of non-ionising radiation". I know because I have worked on it.

Please do not quote government guidelines or "experts" to me. We all know how that has been going lately. The various committees are packed with people from industry with conflicts of interest. It's the same for telecommunications as for the Wellcome Trust people advising on virus/vaccines.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Digital Voice FORCES use of cordless phones causing documented health symptoms

This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. Your post does not go to BT. 

See link about the change to Digital Voice.

Moving landline phones to digital technology: what you need to know - Ofcom

Internet revamp for the humble landline - BBC News

As regards using your current phones. Have a look at this adaptor which may be of use to you and which you can get free of charge from BT when your line is changed to Digital Voice.

Digital Voice Adapter | BT Help

BT Digital Voice Adapter (100121) | BT Shop

BT Wi-fi – wi-fi your business can depend on

Message 3 of 11

Re: Digital Voice FORCES use of cordless phones causing documented health symptoms

Hi @bellinterlab   Why don’t you simply plug in your existing wired extensions to the Smart Hub 2 and not use DECT. Obviously turn off all WiFi on the smart hub as well. Digital Voice does not force you to use cordless phones.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Hi. Thanks. And apologies if I posted in the wrong place. I have to get this resolved by tomorrow.

In 2 conversations with BT sales-people, they told me the 2nd & 3rd phones would have to be cordless. I was not aware of any possibility using "wired extensions". (I am undergoing a forced upgrade from a traditional landline setup.) If I understand you correctly, I can buy some wired digital phones, but how do I run them all off the single phone port on the SmartHub2 ??

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@bellinterlab wrote:

If I understand you correctly, I can buy some wired digital phones, but how do I run them all off the single phone port on the SmartHub2 ??

You can not because as you have rightly said, there is only one phone port on the SH2.  That is where you may be able to use the BT Digital Voice adaptor.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Is this a new setup or do analogue phones & extensions already exist where you want them? If the latter, you can simply run a BT431a cable between the socket on the rear of the SH2 & one of the existing extensions. That will allow all existing analogue phones to operate as before.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@rbz5416 wrote:

Is this a new setup or do analogue phones & extensions already exist where you want them? If the latter, you can simply run a BT431a cable between the socket on the rear of the SH2 & one of the existing extensions. That will allow all existing analogue phones to operate as before.

Are you sure?

As per the post by licquorice the following applies:

Solved: Digital Voice FAQs - BT Community

"If it really thought necessary to use corded phones in existing extension wiring, this can be achieved if broadband service is via FTTP (Full Fibre to the home) by simply disconnecting the incoming wires from the master socket and connecting the green socket on the hub to any of the phone sockets with a cord consisting of a phone plug at each end.

This is more complicated if broadband service is still delivered via the copper pair as the incoming wires cannot be disconnected and the hub still needs to connect to the master socket. It will require a new extension socket to be fitted adjacent to the master socket and the extension wiring transferred to it. This new socket can then be connected to the green socket on the hub as with FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

@gg30340 

Fair point, I was assuming it was FTTP but the OP hasn't said one way or the other. But even if it's copper it would be relatively straight forward to isolate the master socket from the extension wiring, & add another socket to take the feed from the Hub.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@rbz5416 wrote:

@gg30340 

Fair point, I was assuming it was FTTP but the OP hasn't said one way or the other. But even if it's copper it would be relatively straight forward to isolate the master socket from the extension wiring, & add another socket to take the feed from the Hub.

But not as straight forward as just plugging in a cable and yes relatively straight forward if you have the knowledge are capable and know what you are doing or are able to get some one else to carry out the work for you.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

@bellinterlab To answer the original statement, no, you are not FORCED to use cordless phones to access Digital Voice as the hub contains a built in ATA and socket.

0 Ratings