cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Digital Voice - New Handset Required?

Go to solution

Hi,

Just been notified I'm moving from my old landline to Digital Voice. Will I still be able to use my existing (several years old) handset or will I need a new one compatible with DV?

I already have BT Broadband and a Smart Hub 2.

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Digital Voice - New Handset Required?

Go to solution

By handset do you mean a cordless handset or a simple corded phone?

Either way, you can continue to use whatever you have by simply unplugging it from the master socket and plugging it into the green socket at the rear of the SH2 (which may have a sticker covering it).

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response.

It is a cordless handset; one part plugs into a power socket and the other to the telephone socket which is on a splitter thing in the wall.

The SH2 has 4 yellow sockets visible on the back which look like a phone socket could plug in there. One is called "gig ethernet". None of these are currently used. In addition, there is something labelled "Phone" with a sicker labelled "Digital Voice Customers Only". Will it simply be a case of plugging my phone into that (after I've removed the sticker).

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

yes just remove sticker and connect cable from wall phone socket to the green socket on back of hub and phone should work

were you not offered a new DV phone from BT?  if not phone CS 150 and request one free

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

the FAQ may answer some of you problems

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Yes, hey have offered a Digital Voice Home Phone for free.  Do I actually need one or will the existing handset be ok? I'm not interested in Alexa or anything new. I just want to be able to make and receive phone calls as before.

I guess if they are offering a free DVHP maybe I should ask for one anyway just to be on the safe side

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

The free phone doesn't require a base station, the hub is the cordless base station so is a much neater solution.

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks great! Thanks for all your help and quick replies!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

For what it's worth, when getting DV during recontracting I said I didn't need DV phones as I had a Panasonic triple set but they sent me an advanced one anyway. I've set it up slightly usefully alongside the Panasonics but have told Alexa she's not welcome here.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.