cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Digital Voice Switchover

I have BT Fibre 1 with Halo 1: Broadband and Calls
I also have a Smart Hub 2

Can anyone explain this paragraph in a letter I have received from BT about switching to ‘your new home phone service’

“We’ll be in touch to arrange for an engineer to install Full Fibre at your property. By booking the appointment, you’ll be providing consent to proceed with the switch over to Digital Voice.”

Why would I need an engineer to visit me to switch to Digital Voice, when I have Fibre and when my Smart Hub 2 has a socket on the back for Digital Voice.

I don’t want Full Fibre, but I do want the Digital Voice option.

Shouldn’t the letter have read:  By booking the appointment, you’ll be providing consent to proceed with the switch over to Full Fibre.”

Then as a throwaway line the letter says: “If you rarely use your home phone, you could switch to a Broadband Only plan.”

However, it fails to say what type of broadband that would be. Would it still be the Fibre 1 with Halo 1: Broadband WITHOUT CALLS

If it means that I have to have Full Fibre to get Digital Voice then I am prepared to just take a Broadband Only Plan. I only want to switch to Full Fibre when it is absolutely necessary and I understand that there is still time before that happens.

My connection comes via Cabinet 1 in Prestatyn and whilst I understand that no more copper products can be sold, I am given to believe that if you currently have a copper product or package, you won’t be forced into Full Fibre until absolutely necessary.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Digital Voice Switchover

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

You could  have added this query to your existing post ,as that’s essentially the same subject.

Has this communication from BT with the paragraph in question arrived out if the blue without you making any contact to BT first ? Or have you instigated this dialogue by getting in touch with BT ?

Unless things have changed , being migrated to Digital Voice , when instigated by BT , as it suits their plans , does not extend your minimum term and doesn’t need FTTP to be installed as a consequence of getting DV , if you instigated  the change by asking BT to move you to Digital Voice at your request , rather than waiting to be advised of the change at a time of BT’s choosing , then that may require you to accept FTTP , being told you are getting DV by BT and requesting BT to move you to DV are not the same thing .

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Thanks for replying. Not very familiar with forums and community, but got desperate.

No I did not contact BT about anything.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Perhaps you can post the entire letter , removing any personal information like name , address , phone number etc.
If BT has changed policy and they are now proactively asking or even insisting that customers to take FTTP , once it’s available, rather than simply encouraging FTTP take up at contract renewal or when the customer requests adding or removing products, ( so not instigated by BT ) then it would be interesting to see the exact wording , obviously some may have , what others may see as ‘odd’ reasons for not wanting FTTP if it’s available ( especially as the most common complaint is from those that want FTTP but are not in an area where it’s available) but some could have ‘genuine’ reasons for avoiding an FTTP installation ( for example ) they could be tenants and to change to FTTP ( with the tiny amount of new equipment required) without the landlords agreement may breach the tenancy agreement.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Yes, I am a tenant myself but that is not my main concern. I am sure the landlord wont mind as he does not care about anything in the house at the best of times.  Others may not be able to get permission I know. My main concern is, I am not ready. We have multiple pc's, printers, gadgets etc. as we have a small sole trader home business. We would not have enough electrical sockets etc for the full fibre set up and still be able to plug everything else in and a lot of the stuff is not wireless. It is worrying to me that forcing it on me will render a lot of the stuff unusable or we would have for fork out for extra wall sockets. I will scan the letter in and post as soon as I can. Got a visitor now, but will definitely do it. Many thanks for helping.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Hi,

Here is the letter.

Like I said, I can switch to Digital Voice myself with no problem via the Hub. It has socket at the back for this purpose.
The most important part is under the heading 'what happens next'

Thanks again 

bt 2 letter.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Just to say that I also received the exact same letter last week. I live in South Wales.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Presumably if you never book an appointment then FTTP cannot be fitted , that may  delay the switch to DV , or  they may still switch you  to DV but over your current FTTC , that part  is unclear .

You could always call the number on the leaflet , presumably that will delay the migration to DV as well as suspending any change to  FTTPas they will assume it’s DV is the issue rather than FTTP.

FWIW , I suspect this leaflet is crafted to suggest that moving to FTTP is non negotiable so you may as well get it out of the way ASAP .

As far as the OP , there is probably no reason why the FTTP ONT cannot be sited close to where the router currently is , or an Ethernet cable ran from the ONT position to the current router position, and as far as power sockets , extension leads or socket doublers are acceptable to provide power to the ONT .

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

A bit disappointed with your reply.
I understand that Digital Voice can be delivered over any broadband connection.
I feel that I am being forced into Full Fibre when it is not necessary in order to receive Digital Voice - that is all I am saying.

0 Ratings