cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Digital Voice, how do I phone BT using my phone if I have lost my internet?

When I'm forced to switch over to Digital Voice, how do I phone BT using my phone if I have lost my internet?

How do I ring BT to say I need help?

Previously, I could not ring out if I lost electricity unless I had an old analogue type phone as a backup. But when Digital Voice is forced on me, how do I ring my elderly mother or any help line if I lose internet ? How do I get the internet fixed immediately if I cannot contact anyone?

My mother is scared because she is almost 87 with heart condition. She has one of those necklace systems that auto connects to an immergency service via phone.  So if electric becomes an issue then I've heard BT are supplying some sort of battery backup system.   More importantly she has an old analogue type phone that does not need electricity to function. It means if she lost electricity she can ring for help. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Digital Voice, how do I phone BT using my phone if I have lost my internet?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

It seems BT are extremely naive.
They are under some weird impression that everyone uses a mobile phone. This is a heads up - I know several people who do not use a mobile phone and I don't have one either.
They also never realised the the old analogue phones work when there is an electric power failure. So in an emergency people keeping one of these older style phones could still call 999 etc.
When Digital Voice is forced on people, people will have an additional problem. Lose your internet and by default, you will also have no phone. I've no idea what I'm suppose to do if no internet - I mean how do I contact BT to say I have a problem ?
This is extremenly worrying and I'm not using Digital Voice yet.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I have digital Voice and a Motorola FW500 for emergency backup. It does not work! We had a power cut today and it affected the local EE mast so no mobile signal and no BT line signal. I think the whole thing is faulty.  I tried the emergency phone , the batteries were charge, but all the phone told me was that there was no line signal.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Some time ago there was a major incident in Cornwall at Boscastle. Storm floods caused chaos and it happened very quickly. The loss of electricity knocked out the mast so no internet and no mobile functionality. But the old form of analogue phones that did not rely on a power supply still worked so the community were able to call for help from all emergency services.

Digial Voice upgrade - under same situation - would mean no one can call for help.

How can BT be so naive - without the ability to call for help what will be the outcome ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

This isn't a case of BT being 'Naive'. Openreach are removing the copper PSTN infrastructure. BT don't have the ability to give customers the option of Landline or Digital voice in the longer term. Openreach already have stopped all ISPs from selling new PSTN services and if BT weren't forcing people to move to Digital Voice then pretty soon those people would just have their landlines disconnected instead. 

-Jade

0 Ratings