cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Digital Voice - make sure to back up your Contacts regularly...

I recently had a service visit that taught me a valuable lesson about BT Digital Voice and the handsets, I thought I'd share it here...

I learnt that all the data relating to personalised settings and contacts:

Handset names

Speeddial numbers

ringtones choices

and in particular your Contacts...

etc

- are all stored, not in the handsets but in the associated router  - so data and settings automatically update to each seperate handset without the need to manually transfer handset to handset.

And that, should you need to replace or perform a factory reset that router, all those settings and your Contacts are lost.

When the handsets reconnect they are "out of the box" reset and you need to register all handsets to the router again, setting up handset names etc from scratch.

All Contacts are lost - however if you follow this advice, before that replacement or factory reset, all will not be lost and the Contacts recovered.

Enter your Router Hub Admin - type 192.168.1.254 into your PC browser, enter the Admin Password on your router if required.

Open the Phone tile and select the Contacts Tab where you can use the Export option to create a back up file of your Contacts - I created a "Digital Voice" folder in my PC Documents folder to save the file to.

If you have to replace or perform a factory reset on the router return to the same tile in Router Admin to recover your Contacts file.

You will have to reset all other settings such as Handset names, speed dials, ring tone options etc still, but your precious Contacts will be secure.

I have set up a Calendar memo on a three monthly basis reminding myself to update that backup file regularly so recent changes to Contacts are backup and preserved.

Happy updating...

Martin

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Digital Voice - make sure to back up your Contacts regularly...

been covered before but nonetheless good post

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 9

Was interested to read your message re backing up Digital Voice Phone contacts.

Please advise, I havw done everything you suggested but only the first contact was backed up and I have approximately 56.

Am I doing something incorrectly? 

Please advise

Thanks

regards

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

You will find that all the contacts have been backed up. Open the vcf file in notepad rather than the defaut  app and you will see they are all there.

Message 5 of 9

They are not easy to read unfortunately but you are right they are all there. Many thanks.
Graham
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Is it possible to open the vcf file in another app rather than notebook?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Probably, but why do you need to open it? It's just a backup that you can restore.

However, I find notepad very useful for adding contacts, much easier than adding them via a handset. Copy one entry as a template and then just paste and edit extra contacts.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Thank you for your quick response.
regards
Graham
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Re: Digital Voice - PIN NUMBER FOR DIGITAL VOICE PHONES

Does anyone know if the the BT digital phones have a PIN Number?

I came across this information in the user instructions.

regards

GCMA

0 Ratings