cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Digital Voice not configured on Smart Hub 2 and not receiving full broadband speed on new order!

Go to solution

Hi

I am at the end of my tether. I had an order which went live late on the 22 June 2022 for Digital Voice and FFTP 900 broadband. I have had a complaint open with BT now for over 3 weeks as my Digital Voice service has never worked and I am getting only 482 MBPS download broadband speed when I am paying for FFTP 900. On the home page of my hub (192.168.1.254) the phone is greyed out and says not configured. Yes you can register my handsets successfully but I just get a message saying that the handsets are unable to make or receive calls. The phone icon is also still greyed out and says not configured on the hub home page even if you register the phones to the hub. There is no dial tone. Plugging a normal analogue phone directly into the hub results in no dial tone. So that must rule out the digital handsets.

BT and the BT App report that I am getting full speed to the hub. Yet when myself and the BT engineer do a speed test by connecting a laptop with a gigabyte port and cat 6 cable we only get around 482 download speed.

As BT were insisting it was a local configuration issue they sent out a Home Tech Expert who factory reset all of my kit and tried to set it all up from scratch. But the engineer got the same results and issues as me. He verified that the Phone icon was greyed out on the hub, there was no dial tone from an analogue or digital phone and that my broadband speed was only 482 MBPS. Yet BT still say it is an issue my end even though the BT Home Tech Expert shared his own results with them!

I have even gone to the extreme of emailing the CEO of the BT group and having a complaint logged with the Executive Customer Resolution Team.

However, I have spoken to various people over the past 3 weeks and it is like banging my head against a wall. The finger just keeps getting pointed back at me saying it must be me doing something wrong or it is a local configuration issue! Even despite all my kit having been reset to factory settings by a Home Tech Expert engineer who also concluded that there is clearly a problem on BT’s side and that it is not an issue at my end.

BT are in complete denial and they just keep passing the issue around different departments and teams. Apparently a TMC Team have looked at it, TSO and other teams. But they all claim there is nothing wrong.

The complaint handler yesterday hinted at that they might need to go to deadlock and say they cannot fix the issue. Which would only leave me being able to go to the ombudsman service.

Seriously no one in BT can fixed this? What am I paying for? The service is really poor. Surely they can escalate issues like this to more senior engineers? Has something failed during the provisioning process? I don’t know. But BT should know how to fix it! It is a complete joke!

I am so sick of this now!

Help!!!

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Digital Voice not configured on Smart Hub 2 and not receiving full broadband speed on new order!

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Re: Digital Voice not configured on Smart Hub 2 and not receiving full broadband speed on new order!

Go to solution

Is your property a new build property with only FTTP or an older property where the copper pair service has been overlaid with FTTP ?,

If a new build , many property’s become ready for service ( released by the builder) at the same time, if at the time the ‘installer’ authenticated the addresses , somehow your  address and a neighbour were in effect registered as each other , because optically the service is identical ,you would get their service and they would get yours, so if the neighbour ordered 500Mb and no telephony, you would get that service and they would get yours , obviously they wouldn’t complain about getting 900 instead of 500 , the phone service something they never asked for , therefore have never attempted to use.

If you haven’t already , you need to get confirmation that your ONT serial number matches up with what’s recorded for your address….as you already know , there can’t be anything wrong physically, is must be an administrative problem , either all your identifying data is correct but your ‘profile’ incorrectly set , or the ONT /address data is wrong and you are in effect getting someone else’s profile.

There is an BT FTTP service desk number , often posted on this forum, try giving them a call.

Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Hi

Yes I am in a new build. Strangely I did ask the complaint handler yesterday if they were looking at the correct property. I have no copper it is just FFTP. I just don't know how to get them to accept responsibility and fix it.

Which serial number should I be asking them to check?

I just feel helpless now. Surely they should be checking all the things you mention? It just makes no sense. But I fully get what your saying. It wouldn't surprise me if I am picking up someone else's profile.

Thanks,

steve

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

@stevenmoore3 wrote:

Hi

Yes I am in a new build. Strangely I did ask the complaint handler yesterday if they were looking at the correct property. I have no copper it is just FFTP. I just don't know how to get them to accept responsibility and fix it.

Which serial number should I be asking them to check?

The ONT serial number.

I just feel helpless now. Surely they should be checking all the things you mention? It just makes no sense. But I fully get what your saying. It wouldn't surprise me if I am picking up someone else's profile.

Thanks,

steve

You have to remember with FTTP, the fibre connected to your ONT carries up to 30 customer's data and it relies on the correct serial number of the ONT to correspond to the correct account to allow that account's data to be extracted.

The number for the FTTP team is 0800 587 4787

Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Hi

Sorry yes when you refer to the ONT serial number I see what you mean. The actual fibre modem installed into the property that I connect the smart hub 2. Yes it really does make me wonder. Especially if they are insisting my profile and account is ok.

Hopefully a FFTP BT employee will see this and will try and help!

Thanks,

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

The serial number should be on a sticker on the ONT , if the ONT is inside a plastic ‘box’ ( usually the case with new builds to give a more professional finish ) open the case and check the ONT inside rather than relying on the sticker on the front , if the installer messed up , that may be where the error occurred, basically they put the wrong sticker on the front , there should be a proper manufacturers panel with the serial number as well as the sticky label .

https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/help-and-support/problems...

This link shows the cover fitted, I would open it up , the access panel simply lifts up , exposing a screw, undoing the screw allows the other side to be opened and the actual ONT can be seen , check the info on the sticky label on the cover matches what is on the actual ONT ( you would need to unhook the ONT from the cover as it’s on the backside )  , its not visible when pushed into the external cover, then check with BT FTTP that the ONT ( not the sticky label unless they are the same ) is the one ‘recorded’ for your ‘account’ , it’s possible the people you have had visit so far have only checked the sticky label 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Hi

Thank you. I am registered blind and rely on assistive technology like a screen reader on my laptop and voiceover on my Iphone. So I will try and get a friend of mine to locate the serial number on the ONT for me. As I won't be able to physically see it.
I'll show him your explanation above. I'll definitely check this with them as I did touch on the very point yesterday with them that I wasn't convinced they were looking at the right property.
Hopefully my friend will be able to locate the correct serial number. And yes we will watch out for any inaccurate stickers on the outside of the casing. I'm not actually sure if there is a cover on it or not. But hoepfully my friend will be able to work it out.

Thanks again for the helpful reply. If any BT employees are monitoring I would really appreciate your help as well in resolving this. it is driving me crazy!

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

If you are already dealing with the executive level complaints department, the mods here will be unable to help I'm afraid.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution
Good luck with this , hopefully it will be resolved soon