cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: Digital Voice performance from Smart Hub

Go to solution

The OP ‘s experience isn’t common, if there is nothing wrong with your corded phone and meets the current standards then it will work when connected to the SH2 phone socket .. this future migration to DV seems to be causing you a completely disproportionate amount of stress , you appear to post on each and every DV related post on this forum , but to what end , you have been repeatedly reassured, yet it seems to make no difference, which begs the question, what exactly do you want from this forum ? , you will apparently continue to fret over something that is inevitable, and TBH , it’s probably only at that point of migration and you are on DV , that you will come to the conclusion that all your concern was massively overblown.

Message 12 of 19

Go to solution
Many thanks for the reassurance. Like a lot of people these days I do often work from home so need to make calls even international ones for work - the calls in a sense pay for my phone bills and much else so having working telecoms particularly in an area of London with not great mobiles is quite important to me and for daily calls to family. On TV switchovers I have not really watched TV on a TV set for 20 years actually but I do watch Sky etc over my computer at home every day on Skygo so yes I certainly do use digital stuff - in fact I can only watch like that because I raised a third of the money to enable internet fast enough to watch TV on it about 10 years ago and Openreach paid the other two thirds.

I do appreciate the reassurances from everyone on here and I know there are some very good real experts so thanks for all the help. I am sure my concerns will increase as we get closer to London moving into digital voice in 2023.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

@Jane2018wrote:

I need the traditional corded landline that will fit under my chin when typing with the phone up against my ear etc.

Not heard of the handsfree/speaker option then?

Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

I was switched over 10 days ago.  Switch when through at 3:50 in the morning with no disruption to the Internet.  Both the new and old phone systems ran in parallel until I switched the phone from the master socket to the back of the SH2 and rebooted the SH2 next morning.  (Worth noting, it did take a reboot to finish the move).

I have an old Panasonic cordless base station plugged in and so far, I can’t tell the difference between the old and new systems.

I really think you are stressing about this far too much.

Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

I don't like using the handsfree speaker option and never have even back in the 1980s because there is often noise in the house (try having five children which we had at one point ).  Also for confidentiality reasons the speakerphone function is never best for me. I just want the corded landline under my chin and then I type with 2 hands but the all is relatively confidential to me and my mouth is going directly into the landline bit so there is no way I am moving to these dect phones. I appreciate there might be some kind of head set I could buy but don't like the idea of something pushing into my ears and my hair pressed down. I just want the corded landline to work which it sounds from what people have said to be very likely so that will be great - plug it in back of hub and off I go.....

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

For goodness sake, your continued negativety and reluctance to make things simpler and easier for yourself are getting tiresome. It's going to happen, fretting and worrying about it and continually posting on the forum is not going to change that.

You have been continually reassured that it's a non event but you refuse to accept that. You will make yourself ill with all the unnecessary angst

Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks all to the replies to me as the OP. I had a DECT and another BT branded corded phone connected (not at the same time) to the green socket and the hum was pronounced but I had never been aware of it when connected to the NTE and using the phone before the switchover. It’s all a bit academic now as they’ve both been recycled. Interestingly I now have a lovely old Ivory GPO 312 connected and it’s no different to when it was connected to the landline, apart from the fact that it doesn’t dial out without some modern assistance

The native DECT phone is really good having used it a few times now. The other facilities such as call diversion etc. are also really helpful. I’ve got a DV adapter coming so will try that when it arrives.

Thanks to all who have taken time to reply to my original post.

Andrew.

Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

Some older DECT phones had a base power unit which had a mains transformer instead of a switched mode power unit. These often had a background 50Hz hum, due to leakage between the mains side and low voltage sides of the transformer. These power units are noticeably heavier. 

Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for responding Keith. In this case the DECT wasn’t that old so would have expected it to be a SMPSU but the corded phone was just that and no external PSU but the hum was present.

Regards, Andrew.

0 Ratings