cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Digital Voice reliability

BT say "Digital Voice will give you the same reliability, trust and familiarity of your current home phone service".

This is clearly not true. If your broadband connection has a fault there will be no Digital Voice service even if you have the "Unbreakable WiFi" promised by BT with Halo 3+. Customers with Analog phone service are not dependent on broadband service and basic phones will work even power fails.

If your power fails with digital Voice you cannot make it receive calls. 

How on earth can this be said to have the same reliability as current home phone service?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Digital Voice reliability

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@dqj999wrote:

BT say "Digital Voice will give you the same reliability, trust and familiarity of your current home phone service".

This is clearly not true. If your broadband connection has a fault there will be no Digital Voice service even if you have the "Unbreakable WiFi" promised by BT with Halo 3+. Customers with Analog phone service are not dependent on broadband service and basic phones will work even power fails.

If your power fails with digital Voice you cannot make it receive calls. 

How on earth can this be said to have the same reliability as current home phone service?

@dqj999 

At my current property I've had a loss of service of analogue telephone of about 20 hours over 25 years. With DV I've lost about 30 minutes of service in  2.5 years.

Therefore my experience is that DV is more reliable. As BT and  other telecom service providers are not responsible for the domestic power supply it is nothing to do with the reliability of the DV service itself.

Message 4 of 6

In reply to the last point, most people would say that if you cannot make calls because of some dependence of the service i.e. available power, then this affects the reliability of the service. If you are unable to call 999 to get assistance when there is no power people will not be thinking "that's not BT's fault", they will be thinking why on earth did BT think this was acceptable even if the BT Chairman could show that there had never been a minutes outage of Digital Voice.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

So when considering the reliability of an electrical appliance do you take into account power cuts? Ithink not.

Message 6 of 6

@dqj999wrote:

..... they will be thinking why on earth did BT think this was acceptable even if the BT Chairman could show that there had never been a minutes outage of Digital Voice.

As it's been approved by Ofcom and all providers will be transferring their customers why is the BT Chairman responsible?

'Many people' also seem to forget that the current analogue system has failures, I wonder how many lost a landline yesterday to the wind? Failures do and will happen for various reasons, I think you're assuming the existing system is and has always been faultless.