cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 38

Re: Digital Voice with phones older than 10 years

@licquoricewrote:

Plug a filter into the DVA and then plug the phone into the filter, this will create the ring wire.

Is that BTs official solution? or just a work-a-round also where do I get these filters from as BT have not offered this as a solution to me and I don't see why I would need to purchase them myself

Annie

BT Halo 3 (73Mb Down / 18Mb UP)
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 38

Just bite the bullet and ask for a free DV handset from BT. Once paired with your Smarthub it can be sited anywhere in your home.

Message 13 of 38

You possibly already have a couple, they were supplied for years with various BT hubs...

Message 14 of 38

@Annie_UK wrote:

@licquoricewrote:

Plug a filter into the DVA and then plug the phone into the filter, this will create the ring wire.

Is that BTs official solution? or just a work-a-round also where do I get these filters from as BT have not offered this as a solution to me and I don't see why I would need to purchase them myself

BT offer free Digital Voice phones, if you choose not to use the provided equipment and use an ancient instrument you must expect to make your own arrangements.

Message 15 of 38

Additional information regarding how to contact BT and get free equipment. 

What if I have an additional corded phone?
If you have an additional corded phone and haven't already ordered an adapter to use it in another room, text ADAPTOR to 61998 or visit bt.com/DVEquipment
What if I don't want to use my phone near my Hub?
You can order a free dorcless handset to pair with your Hub and use anywhere in your home, or an adapter to use your existing phone in another room. Text HANDSET or ADAPTOR to 61998 or order at bt.com/DVEquipment
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 38

Or....if you have an extension in the room with the Hub, you can plug the filter into the hub phone socket and using a "plug to plug" lead, plug the filter into it (mentioned in detail across a number of threads) and use your phones as before. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 38

@gg30340wrote:

BT have at this time suspended the change over to Digital Voice so that some of the concerns of BT customers can be addressed so at present it is not possible to give you a definitive answer to all your questions.

You were given incorrect information about your old phone not working with DV. As you are a BT broadband user, you can still use your old phone by plugging it into the Smarthub or you can ask BT for a free DV Adaptor and use that to remotely connect your phone to the Smarthub or you can ask for a free DV Phone.

See links

"Existing Phone

You can continue to use your existing phone by plugging it into the phone port on the back of the Hub. Or you can use one of our adapters, which will let you plug your phone into any standard phone socket".

Digital Voice phones | BT Help

Digital Voice Adaptor user guide

BT Wi-fi – wi-fi your business can depend on

As for the power consumption, I don't know the exact figures but given the lower power usage of the DV Adaptor I would imagine that it be a negligible annual cost to run it.

If you do decide not to use your old phones you can hand them into your local councils recycling centre or ask BT for a returns bag and they will be recycled both of which will negate them ending up in land fill.

The online instructions for the DVA say that phones older than 10 years may not be compatible, by phones are older that 20 years and are 100% not compatible (no incoming ring)

I have spoken to one of the people who was involved in the beta for DV and they said this was reported well before the rollout and BT have just swept the reports under the carpet

Why should I recycle equipment that is still functioning perfectly last week and the main user is 77 years old who hates new technology and just wants to use there phone as they have for many years

Thus far no one at BT has offered an acceptable solution to this issue 😞

Annie

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 38

@SRB wrote:

Or....if you have an extension in the room with the Hub, you can plug the filter into the hub phone socket and using a "plug to plug" lead, plug the filter into it (mentioned in detail across a number of threads) and use your phones as before. 

as @Annie_UK  appears to have FTTC (from speed quoted) it is not as simple as just connecting a phone lead from socket on hub to master socket as you cannot disconnect the incoming openreach connection as needed for broadband.  This has been covered in other forum posts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 19 of 38

@imjollywrote:

@SRBwrote:

as @Annie_UK  appears to have FTTC (from speed quoted) it is not as simple as just connecting a phone lead from socket on hub to master socket as you cannot disconnect the incoming openreach connection as needed for broadband.  This has been covered in other forum posts

Correct we have Halo3, thanks for your reply

Annie

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 38

Ah! of course, my mistake, I thought she was on fibre, it's still doable, depends on the type of Master Socket and how the hub is connected to it, though.

0 Ratings