cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 38

Re: Digital Voice with phones older than 10 years

@Annie_UK wrote:

Why should I recycle equipment that is still functioning perfectly last week and the main user is 77 years old who hates new technology and just wants to use there phone as they have for many years

The main reason that you should recycle equipment that was functioning perfectly last week is because it will not continue to work with todays technology just in the same way as you had to change your analogue TV to a digital TV and your old ADSL broadband router will not work with your "new" FTTC broadband etc.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 38

@gg30340wrote:

@Annie_UKwrote:

Why should I recycle equipment that is still functioning perfectly last week and the main user is 77 years old who hates new technology and just wants to use there phone as they have for many years

The main reason that you should recycle equipment that was functioning perfectly last week is because it will not continue to work with todays technology just in the same way as you had to change your analogue TV to a digital TV and your old ADSL broadband router will not work with your "new" FTTC broadband etc.

But that information is rather unhelpful as it conflicts with what has been posted earlier in this thread 😞

BTW, my old analogue TVs are still working perfectly thank you and as for my ADSL router that was sent back to BT as we never owned it 😞

And before you ask we had the master socket changed when had ADSL so the line was filtered at the socket thus had no requirement for ADSL filters

Annie

BT Halo 3 (73Mb Down / 18Mb UP)
0 Ratings
Message 23 of 38

It does not conflict with the information on the thread. It won't work without additional equipment such as the Smarthub or DV adaptor.  

If your analogue TV is still working I suspect you have it connected to a digital box.ie additional equipment.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 38

@gg30340 wrote:

If your analogue TV is still working I suspect you have it connected to a digital box.ie additional equipment.

Or a Betamax video recorder 😄

Message 25 of 38

@licquoricewrote:

@gg30340wrote:

@gg30340 It is best not to guess how someone uses their equipment, a TV has multiple uses as highlighted above 🙄

Annie

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 38

@Annie_UK wrote:

@licquoricewrote:

@gg30340wrote:

@gg30340 It is best not to guess how someone uses their equipment, a TV has multiple uses as highlighted above 🙄

So it is not being used as a television receiver, it is only being used as a monitor and not an analogue TV therefore I was correct that your analogue TV does not work as a TV.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 38

@gg30340wrote:

@Annie_UKwrote:

@licquoricewrote:

@gg30340wrote:

So it is not being used as a television receiver, it is only being used as a monitor and not an analogue TV therefore I was correct that your analogue TV does not work as a TV.

Are you deliberately trying to take this thread off topic so my issue gets swept under the carpet? I have an issue with digital voice and not my TV, broadband, etc...

As far as I can tell the BT wireless phone they are offering as a solution do not replace the features of my BT corded phone that has big buttons for my 77 year old mother and no tiny LCD to worry about also our Answering Machine (we don't have or require voicemail) that allows us to monitor who is calling without first having to pick up the receiver

Annie

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 38

It is not off topic. It is pointing out that times move on and old equipment becomes redundant whether you like it or not.  

New equipment may not work in the same way as the old equipment but it can have the same features. As regards big buttons on the phone, you can purchase a big button DECT phones that have built in answering machines.

Perhaps if you looked for solutions rather than problems you would fine a phone that would suit you and your mothers needs and yes it may cost you money but only if you do not want to use the solutions that have been suggested to you.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 38

Annie, if the hub is being fed by the filtered cable plugged into the socket on the top of the master socket, you can disconnect the extension sockets, just remove the front plate of the master socket. Then connect a male to male BT plug to the extension socket in the room with the smart hub. You will need a filter, as it's a quick and easy way to enable the ring wire on the circuit. If the master socket is in the same room as the hub, you just connect the male to male lead into the removed socket, so long as the extension wires remain connected to it. If you need an extension in that room too, a simple splitter will do the job. The supplied handsets do have decent sized numbers to be fair to them, but, I do honestly understand why some people prefer an older phone.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 38

@gg30340So that's your official standing then, someone being forced to a service they never asked for with equipment that worked fully up to the switchover must pay for their own solution just because BT cut corners and did not design their DVAs properly to add the minor electronics to allow use on all working equipment and totally ignored reports from their beta testers

I know my equipment can work with DV it is just the DVA that stop that and as said above there is a solution but BT seem to be reluctant to officially offer people that solution

I'm not surprised the BT have been forced to suspend the rollout

Annie

0 Ratings